Chapter 6 - New Symptoms

|   Warning: Moooooore drama.   |

Taking off down the hall at a quick pace, you walked to Bruce's door and knocked. It was late, you hated to wake him up but this seemed important. You looked at Steve to notice that he was breathing heavier than normal.

Bruce answered the door with his shirt wide open and he was holding a book. "I'm sorry, Bruce, I know it's late but..."

"What is it, (Y/N)?" he asked, his face serious.

"Steve's losing weight and he might be getting shorter, too." You got it out as fast as you could.

Bruce looked at Steve standing behind you and stepped out into the hall, closing his door. "Let's go up to the sick bay."

***

In the sick bay, Bruce confirmed that Steve had lost weight... nearly 10 pounds, in fact. Steve was always a solid, unwavering 240 pounds. He was almost an inch shorter, as well. Steve seemed to be taking the news better than you and Bruce. You and Bruce were silently panicking. You were doing small tasks that Bruce needed a hand with, just to keep busy. Steve really was taking it in stride, or at least on the outside he was. It just made you more proud of him.

After having him go to the bathroom and change into a hospital gown, Bruce drew some blood and hooked different types of monitors up to him. "Steve, I think I need to keep you monitored overnight. I need to see how rapid the deterioration is," Bruce said. "I'm also going to call a few people, I think we need to bring in help on this one."

"You're in charge," Steve said.

Bruce pulled up the digital x-rays of Steve's head from the first day of the accident and looked them over. He seemed frustrated and then he said, "I'm going to make some phone calls, I'll be back."

You sat down in the chair near the bed and looked at Steve. He looked back at you, giving you a little smile that melted your heart. "Today was... strange," he said, with a little laugh.

You smiled at him warmly. "I'm staying with you tonight... I mean, is that okay with you?"

"Of course," he said. It was like you had old Steve back, even just a little bit.

You pulled the chair closer to the bed and tried to pull your legs up and get comfortable. He looked at you and shook his head. "Why don't you come up here with me?" he asked and moved to the far side of the bed. You gave him the "are you sure" look and he motioned with his head for you to join him.

You stood ready to climb on the bed but stopped and said "You're really okay with this? - Because you don't know me very well... and what about... Peggy...?"

He reached his hand out to you. "I've had a few weeks to let it sink in about Peggy and we really weren't dating yet... I was just sort of stuck on her... and as far as you, I have to trust myself with you. I read my own handwriting and I know how I felt about you before. If I could be that head over heels for you before, then... I will be again."

You sat down and gently moved back on the bed. There was not really enough room for two people unless you were smack up against each other but that didn't seem to bother him. He reached up and pulled your head down to press it to his shoulder. "Get some sleep," he said, giving your head a little kiss.

Hearing Steve say something that he'd said to you many times before was so comforting. That, and leaning up against him. You were enjoying feeling his warmth when it struck you that he was withering away and fear washed over you. You laid your hand on his arm, offering you both comfort.

You'd already fallen asleep when you heard Bruce return to the room and start talking to Steve. Your eyes shot open but you just couldn't sustain it and you let yourself drift back off as Bruce took an extra blanket out and covered you. You slipped away to the far away sounds of Bruce and Steve talking.