Chapter 2 - Everything's Changed

|   Just remember, you're a tough lady. You're going to need that strength.   |

When Tony offered to walk you to your room, you wondered which one he meant. Did he mean the room he gave you when you first moved in? - The one that was basically storage for some of your lesser used things? - or the one you actually stayed in... Steve's room?

Everyone knew it wasn't just Steve's room anymore. It was the bigger of your two rooms and it had always made the most sense for you to stay there with him. Besides, you'd hated the thought of making him uproot himself when that's what his whole life had been like since his mother had passed away. You thought about the conversation when Steve asked you to move into his room more permanently, telling you he couldn't live without you.

That's where Tony took you. It was possible Tony had forgotten you actually had another room.

Looking in the bathroom mirror, standing, staring at yourself, you could see how tired you looked to everyone else. Still in your uniform, dirty and bruised, you looked straight into your own eyes in your reflection. Normally, this time of night, you were still getting ready for bed while Steve was in the other room, laying on the bed waiting for you in his white t-shirt and pajama pants. You wanted to stick your head around the doorframe and see him laying there. If you looked now, you were sure you could see him, as if the memory was so burned into your brain, he'd be there. But he was laying in the sick bay, alone and confused. And when Steve was hurting, you wanted nothing more than to be near and hold him but you couldn't. He didn't even know you.

After a hot shower, you walked through the bedroom, looking around like the entire room wasn't even recognizable without him there. You pulled your pajama drawer open and stared at it, suddenly turning for the closet and feeling Steve's shirts with your fingers. There was the sweatshirt he'd worn the time the two of you had gone on a car trip in autumn, the one that was just the right blue for him and made him look so handsome... you remembered reaching for him in the car to hold his hand. It had been the start of a different stage of your relationship.

You pulled the sweatshirt off the hanger and pulled it over your head. It was big on you and one of your shoulders wanted to slip out, but if you couldn't have him tonight, this was what you wanted.

Looking at the empty bed, you wondered when was the last time you'd had to pull the covers back for yourself. It had been a while. He always had them pulled back for you, waiting patiently there for you... waiting for you to lay down so he could pull you close to him.

Staring at the ceiling in the dark, you felt like you were going to sink into the mattress. You swore it was so quiet, you could hear your own heart beating instead of the sound of Steve's breathing near your ear.

***

A mostly sleepless night should have kept you exhausted but you actually felt better in the morning, even waking early. After another shower, you felt even more human. Normally, you went to work out but today felt like it could be another long day and your body still needed recovery from yesterday. Taking advantage of being up so early, you went the extra mile with your hair and makeup. It also helped make you feel better about the large bruise on your cheekbone. Wearing a pair of charcoal colored slacks and a white button down shirt, you headed for the kitchen.

The overwhelming smell of eggs cooking made your empty stomach ache as you got close to the kitchen. There was a sight for sore eyes, Natasha standing at the stove and Wanda sitting at the breakfast bar. When Natasha saw you, she dropped the spatula and walked over for a hug. "How are you doing this morning?" she asked.

"Today is a new day, everything looks better," you said.

Wanda had already gotten up and walked around to your back, throwing her arms around both you and Natasha.