Part 1

Screams and gunshots filled the air in the forests of Jackson County, Wyoming, as bandits invaded the area once again.

They were shot down and a few managed to get out and run back into the forest, but one particular person wouldn't let them get away alive.

Thirty-six year old, Devyn ran after them with her pistol in one hand, and couldn't hear the voices calling out to her from behind.

She found the bandits and brutally murdered each and every one, their blood getting on her clothes but her face was completely emotionless at the time.

"Devyn!" A voice called to her as it got closer to her.

She dropped one of the bodies and turned around to see Joel approaching her, but stopped a few feet away when he saw how much blood she was covered in. Her eyes were filled with anger and fear and she released all of it out on those men.

"Devyn.. just step away from them okay? There aren't anymore here," Joel reached for the gun in her hand.

She started to take in what she had done just done, this was the fourth time this month. Her moods and personality have been off and strange, turning her into a different person. Her hands started shaking as she dropped to her knees.

"What did I.. do?" She whispered and felt tears down her cheeks.

Her dark brown hair was cut short and her bangs fell in front of her green eyes as Joel kneeled beside her, taking the gun out of her hand and his other hand rubbed her back.

"Hey.. come on baby, I need you to stand up."

He helped her up and walked her back inside the gate, hearing a little girl's voice call out to them.

"Momma! Daddy!" She ran up to them with tears in her eyes.

Devyn heard her and looked down at her, feeling broken as she saw her baby girl scared and confused as to what was going on.

"Linley.." She felt her tug on her jeans

"Momma.."

Joel looked down at her and picked her up "C'mere baby girl, look momma's alright, she just got lost is all. We're all okay now."

"Oh thank goodness, there she is" Maria said in relief when she saw Joel holding Linley. "Sorry Joel, she snuck away from me again"

"It's okay, at least she isn't hurt. Where's Ellie?"

"Inside with Tommy."

"Good. Can you help Devyn inside?"

Maria nodded and led Devyn inside as Joel followed behind and shut the door.

Maria sat Devyn down and treated the minor wounds on her arms as Ellie rushed out.

"Mom, Joel, what happened out there?"

Joel set Linley down and looked at her "We'll talk about it later, I thought you were watching Linley?"

"I was helping Tommy cover the other side. I made sure she was safe"

"We'll she got away from Maria, she could've gotten hurt."

"But she didn't, she's fine."

"Ellie, she ran to us scared and confused. She didn't know what was goin' on-"

"Enough you two.." Devyn spoke up and looked at the both of them.

"Devyn.." Joel looked at her

"She wasn't harmed and we got her in here before something happened. It's okay, and you young lady," She turned to Ellie, "You should've stayed with her when you were told to. Don't let this happen again."

Ellie sighed and nodded. "Okay.."

"Good. Joel, I need to talk to you.. alone." She stood up and went in the nearest office.

"Right." Joel followed her and Tommy walked to Maria as he watched them.

"Everythin alright?"

"Not sure.. but they'll talk it out." Maria answered.

Devyn closed the door and went to lean against the desk as she rubbed her face.

"Devyn, what is goin on with you? This is the fourth time you know"

"I know that Joel. I don't know what the hell is wrong, all I know is that I lose control and I can't help but finish them off when I see them."

"This isn't healthy Dev.. I think you need to have the doctors look at you to see what the problem is."

"Dammit how many times do I have to say no to that? I don't want anything to do with those fucking doctors. I. Am. Not. Crazy."

"I understand that, but I'm concerned for not only your safety, but for Linley and Ellie's too. I want you be okay.." He walked to her and reached for her hand and she jolted back.

"Joel-" She gave him a look of warning, "Don't test me. I want them to be safe.. but until I figure out what's wrong with me, I don't want you or the girls to be a part of it."

He stared at her with hurt in his eyes and he simply nodded. "Fine, but just know that I'm trying my hardest to keep you safe." He stepped back and left the office, leaving her behind as she sighed and brushed back her bangs.

She crossed her arms and looked out the window blinds at the sunset. She tears up and searches through the cabinet to find an address book she had kept, which had possible locations of a few people she had met years ago.

It was highly unlikely that she would find them, but it wouldn't hurt to try. She flipped through and found the pages as she scanned over them. "Sioux Falls, South Dakota.. way the hell out there. Hopefully I'll find you two.."

She closed the book and stuffed it in her jacket as she left the office, meeting back up with the others.

Later that night back at the house, Devyn held Linley in her arms as she hummed a tune to get her to sleep. She was only 4 years old, so she was still a baby to them.

After she fell asleep, Devyn laid her down in the little bed and tucked her in. She turned around and saw Ellie in the doorway.

"What happened out there?" She asked quietly.

Devyn sighed and led her out of the room. "A lot happened Ellie, my.. incident happened again. I really don't know what it is, but.. I have a few friends, who may know how to fix it, but.. I have to leave to South Dakota to find them."

"Mom.. that's a long ass trip. You can't go alone, Joel will be pissed if he found out"

"But I don't have a choice Ellie.. if this.. means my infected bites are acting up, I have to go before I get killed."

"That's not the case and you know it.. you're immune remember?"

"I know.. but my change in behavior says otherwise.." She took her hand. "I have to do this Ellie. For your safety"

Ellie looked at her and looked down as she nodded. "Okay.. but you better come back alive"

"Of course I will." She smiled and hugged her.

Ellie hugged back, "When do you leave?"

"Day after tomorrow. I gotta tell Joel"

"Well.. good luck then." She pulled back and smiled.

Devyn put a hand on her cheek, "You're my brave girl. Go on to bed okay?"

Ellie nodded and hugged her one last time and went to her room.

Devyn took a deep breath and went into hers and Joel's bedroom and saw him in the chair in the corner, reading a newspaper.

He looked up when he noticed her walk in and he put the paper down.

"Devyn.."

"Joel.. I need to discuss something with you."