Part 8

Previously...

Devyn stood up and walked out of the bathroom, leaving Rowan alone.

-------------------------

The sunlight beamed through the leaves of the trees, glowing into the small cave where Joel, Blake, and Parker rested for the night. Parker's eyes opened after fully adjusting and they looked over at Blake after seeing that Joel was gone.

"Blake..? Blake!" They shook him awake and he sat up alarmed.

"What..? What is there infected?"

"No, Joel's gone.."

Blake stood up and walked outside of the cave, looking around and seeing Joel sitting on a nearby rock, refilling his weapons with ammo. He sighed in relief and turned to Parker,

"He's out here."

"Oh good.."

Blake stepped out and the snow beneath him made soft crunching as he approached Joel.

"Hey,"

Joel glanced at him and went back to what he was doing.

"You know, we offer our help to you, the least you could do is show a little decency."

Joel stood up after putting his last gun in his bag and got close to Blake.

"I'm only with you two to find my wife. I don't have to show you shit. I've trusted people in the past who have screwed me over. So mind your own damn business."

He walked by him and Parker came by with Blake's backpack. "Come on Blake.. we should get going if we wanna make it to the cabin."

Blake nodded and slipped on his bag, the two of them following behind Joel.

They walked for a while and Joel stopped after hearing distant groans and screams.

"Shit.. infected."

"Out here? There's rarely ever infected out here.." Parker said as they pulled out their gun.

"It's far enough from the cabin, we better take care of them." Blake looked at Joel, "What do we do?"

Joel looked over the cliff and noted that there were only four as he could see. He mapped out a plan and turned to the two.

"Okay, Blake, you and I will take the two on the sides, Parker, when I pull my gun out, you shoot one and I'll get the other."

They both nodded and Parker waited for the signal while Blake and Joel split to the sides, slowly approaching the infected from behind and strangling them quietly. Joel stood up and reached behind, pulling out his handgun as a signal to Parker. 

They jumped down and the two of them fired off shots at the last two infected. They stayed quiet for a moment to see if there was anymore, and out from behind them came two clickers.

"Shit!" Parker yelled as they were tackled by one and they tried to wrestle it while Joel and Blake fired several shots at the other. Parker had kicked the other clicker off and fired several shots in a panic. Joel and Blake rushed over to them and Blake had done a quick look at their body.

"Parker? Are you okay? Did it bite you?"

"No.. no I'm good. That was fucking crazy." They chuckled and put their gun away, turning around and covering a wound with their coat sleeve.

"Yeah. Weird how there was even any out here," Blake sighed.

"They're dead, we got it done. How far is the cabin?" Joel asked.