Part 3

Hello my lovelies, here is the update you've all been waiting for! Sorry it's a bit short, but heck did it take a long time to get out.

I'm very sorry for the constant delays, but I'm finally motivated to start writing again, so I hope you enjoy this chapter and expect more to come!!

~Rinko

Now... onto the chapter!!

_____________________

Previously...

"I'm leaving.."
_____________________

Ellie stared at Devyn with shock in her eyes, "Leaving? What do you mean leaving?"

"There's a few friends I know that could help me with my issue.. I already explained to Joel, but of course he put words in my mouth, so I'm going"

"Wait wait, hold on a minute. You're seriously considering this?" Ellie stepped forward.

Devyn tensed up and took a step back with a nod. "Ellie, I love you girls, and Joel, but with my behavior acting up, I know it has something to do with my bite marks, and I can't put you or Lynlee in danger. It's for the best."

"Mom.." Ellie teared up and hugged her tightly. "do me a favor and kick some ass for us if you get wrapped up in trouble.."

She chuckled and hugged her back, placing a kiss on her forehead. "You know I will"

They let go of each other and Devyn saw the main gate open. She walked towards it and stepped out, looking back at Ellie with a sad smile. She turned back around and took off, hoping that she could figure out what the hell is going on.

Miles and miles she had to run, she never looked back. She saw no point in looking back until she knew she was fixed. It broke her heart knowing that she won't be able to see Ellie, or even Lynlee anymore.

It was for the best.. never knowing if she would make it home, she still kept a photo that was dear to her. Now her main focus was finding her old comrades in hopes that they would help.

Back at Jackson, Joel sat in the main room where him and Devyn had fought, regretting his last words and attitude towards her. Was he wrong? No.. but did he feel sorry? Of course.

He stood up and walked out, looking around and eventually saw Ellie and Lynlee outside.

"Ellie!" He called out.

Ellie looked up and Joel approached her.

"Hey, where's Devyn?"

"She.. she left. Didn't you know?"

His heart dropped, "What?"

"She left Joel. I thought she told you."

"No. No she didn't. We got into a fight but I didn't think she would leave without coming to me first."

"What did you say to her?"

"Ellie-"

"Joel. What the hell did you say?"

"Look, I didn't mean to make her feel bad, I just.. told her that she would leave us.."

"God Joel! You know she would leave anyway! This is something she's determined about.. she wants to be fixed, if she thinks she isn't safe for us, then wouldn't you understand?"

"Yes! But I'm scared of what could happen to her!"

It went silent. Lynlee looked over and pulled on Joel's jeans.

"Daddy..? Will momma come home?"

Joel looked down at the small five year old, seeing her worried expression and picking her up.

"Yes baby girl, momma will come home. I know she will."

Ellie sighed, "Joel, try to not go after her. The last thing you need is to freak Lynlee out with you leaving too.."

"Right. If it's an emergency, then I'll go, but for now.. I'm staying here."

Lynlee smiled and rested her head on Joel's shoulder.

"Come on kid, let's get you inside, it's cold."
_______________

Hours went by, and Devyn was already exhausted and suspicious, noticing that there were rarely any infected around. She hadn't even made it out very far from Jackson and she could still see the city lights from the mountains.

"Okay.. what gives?" She asked herself, looking around and closing her eyes to listen to her surroundings.

Nothing.

No sound but the birds chirping and the faint sound of snow dripping off of tree branches. Nothing like calm sounds to cause more anxiety than it should.

It freaked her out. She was so ised to the sound of weapons being used and the screams of infected filling the air, that she clearly forgot how nice peace and quiet was.

She took a deep breath and kept walking, a few more hours going by and the sun was almost fully set. She still hadn't found shelter, so she had to act fast.

Quickly making her way to the bottom of the last hill she was on, she made her way through the forest to try and find some kind of shelter for the night, and eventually came across an abandoned and torn up cabin.

"Finally.." she mumbled and quickly grabbed twigs and leaves to build a fire, but stopped when she saw sleeping bags and materials on the ground, surrounding a barrel that was used for fires.

She dropped everything after hearing a twig snap behind her. She whipped around and pulled out her gun, only to have it shot down by an arrow from behind a clump of trees.

Hit with another two arrows, she was throw back and caught against the wood on the building scraps.

"Hello!? Who's there!?" She shouted as she started to hyperventilate and saw three silhouettes step out from the trees and from behind the building.

There stood a man in the shadows, holding the bow that shot the arrows.

"We found her boys."