Part 10

(AN: Hello lovelies, from this chapter forward there will be no more recaps at the beginning. Now, onto the chapter.)

--------------------------

Hours passed after the incident with Parker, and Blake was outside alone. He wondered how the situation could have played out different, like how he could have prevented them from getting bitten, or how he could have noticed their behavior being off. It didn't matter. He blamed himself for Parker turning.

Devyn stepped out and sat down next to him on the cabin steps. 

"Blake..? Are you okay?"

He didn't answer.

"I know what it feels like to lose someone who turned."

"You don't know how I feel.."

"I do. Blake.. I lost my brother the night the outbreak happened.. he turned, and my mother killed him. Of course I know the pain you're feeling."

Blake felt tears in his eyes again and he turned to meet her eyes with his.

"Why did it have to be them.."

Devyn pulled him into a hug, "I don't know, I really don't. But blaming yourself isn't going to bring them back. I'm sure they're in a better place."

Blake sobbed softly into her shoulder, and Joel watched from the cabin window. He sighed and turned around to face Rowan, who wasn't showing much emotion.

"You seem real torn about this."

"Don't. Of course I'm upset about this.. but the more we mope around the longer we're wasting time."

"Wasting time for what? Show a little sympathy. The kid just lost his friend, you just lost one of your crew-mates. And you show nothing?"

Rowan slammed his papers down, "Don't fucking test me old man. I don't know you, and you don't know me. So stop butting into my business. I'm just trying to help my friends now, you're wife, so I suggest you shut your trap and focus on the task at hand."

He glared at Joel before leaving the room and Joel sighed, turning to see Devyn walk in.

"Hey.. where's-"

"He's outside clearing his mind still. Joel, you have to go a little light on Rowan, he's stone cold because he's lost too many people. His emotions are stale because he knows how to cope."

"Devyn I-"

"I know.." She approached him and took his hand, "I know you don't mean any harm."

He sighed and pulled her close, holding her tightly and kissing the top of her head.

"I'm sorry for not coming with you."

"It was my fault for leaving abruptly like that. I'm sor-"

She was cut off by Joel's lips on hers and he pulled away, "Don't be sorry. We just.. need to get you better."

She nodded and stepped away from him when Rowan walked in with his bag and Blake's bag as well.

"If we're gonna make it to Colorado, we better leave now. It's about a four day trip on foot, where's Blake?"

"He's-"

"I'm here." He walked in and Rowan nodded.

"Right, Devyn, are you going to be okay to travel?"

"Yeah, yeah I'll be good."

"Good. I'm assuming you're going too?"

Rowan looked over at Joel.