Part 17

"You two caused the explosion..."

"Oh no, the explosion was caused by the idiots who set it off, we just set it up." Rowan fired back.

"If they wouldn't have interfered, we could have saved them, everyone would have been saved Devyn. If you hadn't tried to run, they would still be alive." Taylor grabbed her face, "But Devyn runs solo doesn't she?"

Devyn frowned and bit down on Taylor's hand hard, causing blood to be drawn. Taylor yelped and pulled her hand away, staring down at the bite.

"Shit.. bitch!" She slapped her.

"We need to get that covered, she could cause an infection," Rowan said as he started wrapping the wound immediately.

"You two are fucking crazy! Why didn't you tell me!? Why are you trying so hard to get rid of me?" Devyn screamed.

"Because we need a fucking cure Devyn, do you know how many people we've lost in this goddamn world? Let alone how many of our men have died from savage hunters? Not even that, but you caused so many fucking inconveniences for us, taking you to the Fireflies would have meant big money! You were all about keeping everyone safe, yet you didn't even think about what this cure would have done for everybody!"

"But there's nothing good coming from it if you do make a cure! The population isn't big enough to rebuild the entire world! Have you ever thought about that Taylor? This world is destroyed! No amount of a simple cure is going to make everything better!"

Taylor chuckled, followed by a manic laugh, "It'll be a change, a better view on the Fireflies, we're going to do this and make a better organization than they ever could, but in order to do that, we need to get rid of you, and everything you built."

Devyn's heart dropped, "You won't.. I won't let you, Joel isn't going-"

"Joel is dead Devyn!"

"...what?"

"Oh yeah, he put up a good fight, but the dumbass was too gullible to even shoot when I kept mentioning you. The screams coming from him? Oh what a joy to listen to, too bad, if only you were awake to watch the entire thing. A shame really, oh well, you'll be joining him soon anyways."

"You're lying.. he can't.."

"Just accept it Devyn. Everything and everyone you care about dies.. because of you."

Rowan grabbed Devyn's arm as he stuck the IVs in while Taylor held her down as she thrashed and sobbed.

Meanwhile...

Blake moved through the weapons building, being as sneaky as he was, he slipped by several of the guards to try and find which room Joel was in. He looked through each small window on the doors to try and see into the rooms, when finally he could see a passed out Joel slumped over on the floor.

Trying to move the doorknob, he cursed under his breath as he pulled on a shiv and some kind of card to try and get the door open. His heart rate increased when he heard the sound of men's voices start to get closer and finally he was able to get the door open.

Slipping into the room, he closed it gently and waited until the men passed the room and made his way over to Joel. He shook him slightly and called his name to try and wake him up.

"Joel? Joel come on man.."

Groans came from Joel as his eyes opened and his vision started to steady, seeing Blake in front of him.

"Goddamn.. crazy bitch fucked up my arm." He muttered as Blake removed the rope from his hands and feet.

"Are you okay? How's your wound?"

"I'll be fine, have you found the room where Devyn is?"

"No, I needed to find you first, there's way too many guards on this floor."

Joel peered through the small window on the door and out he actual window, he looked at Blake,

"You got any weapons on you?"

Blake pulled out a hand gun and handed it to him, "Here, from what I heard from the guards, she's being held in the room at the end of the hall."

They were both startled at the sudden sound of thunder from outside. Joel walked over to the window, looking over to see a ledge that was extended out, and he thought for a moment turning back to Blake.

"Can you be a distraction?"

"W-what?"

"I need you to draw attention to yourself, when I get out this window, get the attention of the guards and make sure it's loud enough to get Taylor and Rowan out of that room. Can you do that?"

Blake smiled and nodded confidently. "Yes sir, just do me a favor and not fall."

Joel chuckled slightly, "You got it."

Blake helped him pull the window open and Joel climbed out to start walking on the ledge, and after a few minutes, Blake took a deep breath, opened the door and stepped out into the hallway.

"Hey! Assholes!"

The guards turned around and noticed Blake as he started to run, and they quickly ran to catch up to him.

As Devyn screamed, she could feel her strength increase as she yanked her arm hard enough to break the chain that connected the restraint to the bed and she punched Taylor in the face, yanking her leg as well kick Rowan away.

They fell back and Devyn got the other restraints off, charging Rowan.

"You bastard! I trusted you! I knew I should have killed you both years ago!"

"Get off! Crazy bitch! Taylor fucking shoot her already!"

Taylor stood up and reached for her gun from her boots, but was tackled down by Devyn and her hands wrapped around her neck.

"Agh! R-Rowan!" Taylor choked out.

"Shut up!"

Rowan had grabbed Taylor's gun and had trouble aiming while the two girls fought. He needed to hit Devyn without the bullet hitting Taylor too.

Blake had found the room himself and managed to get away from the soldiers, he looked in the window and saw Rowan standing behind the girls with a straight aim at Devyn. He quickly opened the door when he saw Rowan start to pull the trigger, and just in time he was able to push Devyn off of Taylor.

Outside it had started raining quicker than the sun was setting, and Joel was getting closer to the window where he heard Devyn screaming, but stopped when the window was blocked by the drapes by the inside.

Before he thought of something, he heard a gunshot from the inside and he quickly took the gun he was given to shoot the glass to break in.

"Devyn!"

He broke through the glass and crashed in, making the drapes come crashing down along with some tables being knocked over. Joel groaned, propping himself up on his good arm as he looked up and saw Rowan standing with a shaky hand, Devyn propping herself up at the side as tears glazed over her eyes, and Taylor pushing Blake off of her.