Part 2

-Previously-

"Joel.. I need to discuss something with you."  

-------------------------------

Joel looked at her worried and nodded his head. "What's goin on?"

Devyn took a deep breath, "I've made the rational decision, to visit some friends of mine who might know what's going on with me."

Joel looked up at Devyn with an expression thinking she was kidding. "You wanna run that by me again?"

"Don't do that. You heard me." She crossed her arms.

Joel stood up in disbelief, "You're serious? What made that come to mind?"

Devyn shrugged and looked at him nervously, already sensing a fight emerging.

"I don't know. I remembered that I met up with a few people when I was a teen and they know their research so, I'm pretty sure they know what's up."

"Devyn, did it cross your mind that you got two kids here that need you? Also mind that I need you?"

"Yes I understand that, but did it also occur to you that Linley saw me drenched in blood? Several times might I add."

"It doesn't matter. You don't just pick up and leave me or your damn kids. We've gotten this far, how hard could it be?"

"Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe those are just close calls? I'm dangerous Joel! I don't wanna be in a situation where I killed my family and friends!"

Joel was taken back by her shouting but countered back with more frustration in his voice.

"But you haven't hurt them! Why go off to damn strangers that you didn't bother to tell me about, when you can just stay right here!?"

"Because they have sources!"

"So do we!"

Devyn groaned and ran her fingers through her hair as tears filled her eyes. "It's different than that."

"Why did you even bother to tell me about them now?" Joel asked.

"What do you mean?"

"The first day we met, you said you never stuck around with anyone, just flew solo."

"It was complicated.."

"You lied to me!"

"It was in the past! I left them 2 years before I met you! I had just forgotten!"

Joel just scoffed and turned away from her as she clenched her fists.

"You know I'm not doing this to hurt you or the girls. I'm doing this because I care about your damn safety!" Devyn snapped.

"Our safety? Devyn I'm worried about YOUR safety!"

"Joel I slaughtered almost 15 people! I think I can manage!"

"But you had no control, that can get you killed."

"At least I can try!"

"Devyn, no. End of discussion!" He shouted and slammed his hand on the dresser.

Devyn flinched as her hands started shaking as she looked down at her bite mark on her arm.

She hated thinking about it, but if it was possible, then maybe her bites were finally taking effect on her. She knew that she was going out and hunting a lot more recently, which ended in more killings, so maybe that's what's triggering it.

Devyn let out a painful sigh and rubbed her hand as she spoke up again.

"It might be the bites Joel."

"What?"

"The bites. What if they're just now starting to take effect?"

"That's impossible. You're immune."

"Then how would you explain that violent behavior? It doesn't happen-"

Joel cut her off. "It's just a spur of the moment thing. You had no control. You were being protective."

Devyn shook her head and paced the room, "Joel, I'm telling you. Something is not right. I'm not going to find anything here so I need to do this."

Joel faced her with hurt in his eyes. "So that's it then? You just want me to let you run off to some city full of infected just to find "old friends" to find out what the issue is?"

"Stop it. You always do this. You always find a fucking way to guilt trip me into feeling bad about the decisions I make. Well guess what Joel, I'm not fucking 12, I'm a grown adult who can make my own decisions. If you don't like them, fine. But you will not stop me from doing this because I will not be the one to hurt my children, let alone you."

Joel had finally had enough and had the opportunity to get the last word. He walked over to the door and put his hand on the handle before speaking up as he looked at Devyn.

"You wanna do this? Go ahead. I won't stop you. But so help me Devyn you will regret this, because you're just throwing not only me, but Ellie and Linley in the dust."

With that he opened the door and left the room, leaving Devyn standing with her fists clenched and a few tears rolled down her cheeks.

In her head she knew he was right, but her heart said that she needed to find answers, and she needed to do it fast.

Devyn wiped away her tears and started packing up everything she needed for the long journey, trying not to replay what had just happened between her and Joel.

She packed her weapons, clothes, food, and other essentials before walking out of the bedroom and making her way outside to head for the gate.

As she walked through the main yard she heard Ellie calling for her but she didn't bother to turn around when she stopped in her tracks.

"Mom!" Ellie jogged up to her and stared at her back. "Where are you goin?"

Devyn's body shook as she turned her head to face Ellie with teary eyes and a sad smile.

"I'm leaving..."