xxii.

REAL LIFE
' were you ever in love with me '

                  ELI PICKED AT HER FOOD as kian's stomach bubbled with emotions hitting him at an all too fast pace. "are you okay?" he asked her softly, reaching to touch her hand as she jumped at the contact. she nodded quickly and took a sip of her water as she fought down vomit.

"are you okay?" she mimicked back, cursing herself for the awkward emotion in her voice. kian laughed uncomfortably as he glanced at her, eyes slightly squinted. he was studying her, something she'd noticed he did a lot. it was a bad moment for her though, any other day she relished the thought of holding such an incredible boys attention but she knew he would sense her angst.

"just spit it out elle," he sighed softly as her eyes welled up. "kian you're a great guy, don't think that you're not. it's just that, i don't even know how to say this," she wiped her eyes roughly as kian quickly switched from his side of the table and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "stop being nice –"

"you're trying to break up with me for todd. i'm not stupid elle," he laughed softly and pulled her head into his chest. "it's okay, i'm not mad," he pressed his lips to the top on her head and stared harshly at anyone who dared look at the girl crying.

"did you ever love me?" he asked so quietly he wasn't sure she'd even heard him. she licked her lips before nodding softly. "i was getting there.. it's just –"

"it's just you're in love with todd, right?"

she nodded again and began to pick at her nails, unable to make eye contact with the boy after she heard the deflation in his voice. "please don't let us get weird. i like talking to you elle, i really fucking do," he pleaded as she looked up at at his face finally.

"don't be ridiculous kian, we're gonna be the best of friends," she grinned as he laughed loudly. "k and j and e, we can start making channel art now," he laughed again as eli pictured the comments already. "don't brennen taylor me and rename your video 'my ex girlfriend!'" she glared as kian shrugged and stood up, holding his hand out for her to take.

"one last date," he cocked his head as elle frowned. "no–" kian only shook his head and pulled her up. "i insist," he cut her off and dragged her out of the restaurant and into the car.

"it's about to be the best night of your life. you're totally gonna regret dumping me," he grinned as eli's mouth dropped open in slight shock.

"it was a joke, babe."