XX

My heart breaks at the sight of him. Completely absorbed in darkness. Wanting nothing more than to kill me. Out of all things, I never expected Ken to bring an end to my life. The constant growl in his throat confirms that the guy I once knew, is gone. The person I tried so hard to protect, is trying to kill me. No signs of vulnerability this time. Just pure darkness. A shadower. A monster.

Moments before his grip seriously starts to hurt, I remember the book. The thought hadn't occurred to me sooner. It might be too late now. Fight darkness with your true colors. I don't even know what it means. What are my true colors? These rings... once you put them on, they reflect your true colors. I remember Ken's explanation. I also remember the gemstone of my ring being transparent when I first got it. And now... it's red. But what does that mean? Ken's hands tighten around my neck, and I feel myself gasping for air. 

Red. Ken's ring used to be black. We both got red glows... when we met. From the day we met. That's when it started. I finally understand.

It takes everything in me to speak through his painful grip. "Ken... do you.. remember... the first time... you saw me?" I ask breathlessly. The sudden question seems to confuse him. His grip around my neck doesn't loosen, but he doesn't apply more pressure to it either. "It was... at the... nightclub." His expression is blank. I struggle, still trying to gasp for air. "That day... you wanted... to give up... on your... life" He blinks a few times.

"...but you didn't. Do you... remember... why?" I ask. For a moment it looks like he's going to answer. His hands relax for just a second, and he raises his eyebrows ever so slightly. But he quickly comes back to his shadower senses. A sharp pain shoots through my neck as he tightens his grip again. "Ssstop talking!" He demands.

But I won't. I won't give up on him, even if it means I die trying.

"You said... I am... the reason... you didn't... give up." I carry on, patches of black now clouding my vision. "I'm not... going to... give up on you" 

A metallic flavor rises from my throat, onto my tongue. "...just like you... didn't give up on... yourself." I feel my heartbeat slow down in my chest, and my head getting lighter. Everything around me becomes a blur.

"Ken..." I mumble under my breath, feeling close to my end. I gather enough strength to mumble my final words, looking into the blackness of his eyes. "I love you."

Silence.

More silence.

And then,

Red.