4

Google searches for this chapter: 8

After climbing down the ladder, my mom decides that she's going to go to the Whole Foods she heard was near our house.

"I knew this town was progressive, but a Whole Foods?" She sighs dreamily, as if the Whole Foods was her dream home or something. "I'm going to call one of parents of those lovely boys who helped us out the other day. I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping me get there and back."

She takes a look at the phone numbers, 'hmmm'ing as she reads all the numbers.

"I'm going to call 'Sheila'. I knew a girl called Sheila when I was in kindergarten and she was lovely," she dials the number and holds the home phone to her ear. "Hello there! My name is Linda Stotch. I'm new to South Park and your son was kind enough to help me out yesterday. I was hoping you could help me get to the Whole Foods since we don't have any food in our house and my son and I are quite hungry."

She pauses for a moment. I can hear the woman on the other end. She has a jersey accent, although I'm pretty sure her son didn't.

"Thank you so much Sheila. You don't mind me calling you that, right?" She laughs at whatever Sheila says. "Sounds great. Five minuets? Okay."

She puts the phone down and quickly runs upstairs.

"I'm just going to change into something better to impress Sheila!" She shouts downstairs before slamming her bedroom door shut.

I sit on the sofa, pull my phone out of my back pocket and have another scroll through the messages I've been sent.
The boys from North Park never liked me all that much and I didn't like them either. They used me like a punching bag or a toy. Sure, they were popular and occasionally tried to hook me up with girls but the relationships never worked out and the next day they'd go back to being bullies.

I don't reply to any of the messages, I just delete them and block everyone. All except Charlotte.
She was a nice girl from Canada who dated me for a while before she broke up with me because she had to go back to Canada.
We still talk sometimes, so why not text her?

Butters: hey Charl, it's been a while since we talked. I just wanted to update you on my life :3
Butters: I've moved away from North Park and I'm currently living in South Park. It's a pretty nice mountain town, if you haven't heard of it.
Butters: Are you still in Canada?

Charlotte: oh. Hi Butters. Yes, I'm still in Canada. I had no idea u moved. Do u miss np?

Butters: Not at all! I already prefer South Park and we've only been here for less than a day.
Butters: I haven't been to school yet since it's only Sunday but mom says that she's going to register me at the local school soon.

Charlotte: rip

Butters: How's your school? Are you doing well in your lessons?
Butters: I hope you're studying hard for your exams. I don't want you failing and being held back a grade or two!!

Charlotte: good.

Butters: You're doing good?

Charlotte: yh
Charlotte: I gtg my phone's only got 96%

Butters: Charlotte if you don't want to talk to me you can just tell me :/

Charlotte: butters I don't want 2 talk 2 u. I'm on a date rn

I put my phone into my pocket and sigh. I need some friends.

Mom comes down the stairs, checking herself for rips in her clothes or little lint balls.

"Well? What do you think?" She asks, turning on the spot so I can see her outfit.

"You look great!" I grin, not lying in the slightest.

She's wearing a cute white t-shirt with little pale yellow swirls. She's also got a blue and white stripy cardigan, knitted by my horrible grandmother. She's also wearing a cute golden heart necklace my aunt Nellie bought her for her thirtieth birthday.
She's traded her long purple skirt for a pair of blue jeans I didn't even know she owned and her shoes are leopard print flats.

"Thank you, Butters." She smiles, giving me a quick hug and a kiss on my forehead.

Someone rings the doorbell and she jumps.

"Gosh! That must be her. Be good Butters. If you go out, make sure you're back before three."

She opens the door.

"Good afternoon! You must be Linda," A woman with a Jersey accent loudly greets her, "I'm Sheila, Kyle's mother. How are you, how are you finding South Park so far?"

"Come in, come in," mom opens the door wider, allowing the short, slightly overweight woman into our home. "I'm liking our home a lot better than the one in North Park, we originally lived in a small apartment but we had to move because Butters was getting sick due to the damp walls and the mould that just wouldn't go away."

"That sounds awful!" Sheila gasps, her golden hoop earrings swinging wildly, as if tiny children were playing on them.

"It was." Mom sighs sadly.

"Well, you won't have anything like that here! South Park is nothing but the best, no kids ever get sick due to damp walls or mould. You know what would be lovely, inviting you and your son around one evening so you can meet the other parents! Oh, I can see it now. I'm sure Sharon, Randy, Liane and my Gerald would love to meet you!"

"That sounds excellent! How about we do it here, as a sort of housewarming?"

"Did somebody say house warming?!" A giant red lobster exclaims from outside the house, but we all ignore it.

"I'll talk to them at the next PTA meeting and share the details, oh I'm so excited!" There's a bit of awkward silence. "Should we go to Whole Foods now? We don't want to be too late or all the good food will be gone."

"Yes, of course," mom grabs the house keys. "Be good Butters, don't invite any homeless people in or anything!"

She passes me the spare key and leaves the house with Sheila.
I stand awkwardly in the living room for a while, not really sure what to do.

After around twenty minuets of standing around, I leave the house, locking the door behind me.

I look around the street, studying each house and wondering what kind of people live there, seeing as the only family I know is Kyle's family.

The only house that's different, other than the exterior colours, is the one next door to mine on the right.
Instead of being a two storey house with an attic like every other house, this one is a green bungalow with a doorless garage. There's a family of raccoons sleeping in a ripped cardboard box in the corner of said garage, not at all disturbed by the scruffy looking man loudly sawing a beer can in half with a tenon saw.

I can hear shouting coming from the house from where I'm stood, lots of swearing and mean insults being thrown around by a woman and who I assume is her son.

Despite the broken window, I can't see into the house, but judging from the driveway I'd assume that the floor is covered in beer cans and trash.

"Do you wanna come in or something?"