24

After fourth period I head to the upstairs cafeteria for lunch, my stomach growling like a hostile animal. I bought two cheese sandwiches, a little bottle of milk and a cupcake.

Kenny wasn't in my previous two lessons, but his name was called on the registers in both lessons.
I know he said he skipped class, but the bathrooms are locked during lesson times in case kids decide to hide in there during class and the only people in the janitor's closet were Mr. Mackey and Miss. Chokesondik.

I really don't want to see that again.

I look at all the tables in the cafeteria. Sadly all of them are taken up, including he one beside the door which everyone hates because it's always freezing cold there.

"Hey Butters!" Someone shouts.

I look for the source of the noise. A waving hand at the cold table grabs my attention.
Ike.

I walk over there, not really caring about the age gap, and sit down beside a little girl that looks an awful lot like Craig.

"Hi," I smile, "I can sit here, right?"

"Of course!" Ike smiles back, pulling his lunch out of his sky blue backpack. "You guys don't mind do you?"

Firkle, sat beside the door as he smokes, shakes his head. The little girl who looks like Craig shrugs, not taking her eyes off a scruffy little girl walking towards the table.

Her hair is messy, as if it hasn't been brushed in weeks, her clothes dirty and stained, shoes scuffed, face freckled and bruised.

"Hey guys!" She smiles. Despite her dirty appearance, she has the cutest smile. "Ike, your lipstick is looking great today! Firkle, still trying to destroy your lungs I see. Ruby, what's up gorgeous?"

Ruby, the girl sat beside me, rolls her eyes, but a tiny smile forms on her face.
The girl sits down beside Ike and across from me. I expected her to pull some lunch out, but Ike passes her a sandwich and Ruby passes her a yoghurt pot.

"Thanks guys." Her voice is oddly familiar, but I can't quite remember where I've heard it before.

She begins eating quickly, her gaze settling on me.

"Who're you?" She asks me, her mouth full of sandwich. "You look familiar."

"This is Butters. He lives next door to you," Ike answers. "Someone sent him a finger!"

"A finger?" The girl raises her eyebrow. Her voice suggests that she's never heard of this before, yet the slight smile tugging at her lips tells me otherwise. "How strange. Tell me, do you know either of my brothers?"

"Karen has two older brothers. Kenny and Kevin," Ruby tells me, "Kenny isn't a good influence on her, he's turned her into a pervert like himself."

Karen slaps Ruby's arm playfully.

"My brother is the best person in the whole world!" She exclaims, drawing attention to herself, "besides you, of course." She adds in a quieter, softer voice.

"Oh here she goes." Ruby rolls her eyes again.

"They're together." Ike mouthes when I look over at him in confusion.

I nod, understanding.
I start eating my lunch, enjoying the playful banter these children have between themselves.

Around ten minuets into the lunch break, I spot a familiar orange parka in the distance, slowly approaching.
He's close enough for me to see that his head is lowered, hands in his pockets as he slowly makes his way over.