Prologue: The Interview

Click...click...click...

The sound of Cat Grant's inevitably expensive acrylic nails tapping on her desk sliced through the silence like a hot knife through a stick of butter. For most, just the sight of her would have them squirming in the plush, white chair I currently resided in, the silence on top of it making the situation almost unbearable. However...

When you've seen the things I've seen, Experienced what I've experienced, and have known the woman since you were in corporate diapers, such things hardly make a dent in your level of discomfort. 

"Why now?" She finally replied, her voice as cold as her personality. "You've been at the Daily planet since youw ere just an intern at seventeen, so why are you all of a sudden interested in obtaining a position here?" I crossed my legs, looking her in the eye. Cat was stubborn, she was smart. She knew how to get under your skin, but I knew how to combat such tactics. 

"Supergirl." I said simply, not tearing my eyes from her. She leaned back in her chair, considering this.

"What about her." 

"Cat...You know just as well as I do, that when it comes to who can provide the best stories on the boy in blue. You know I can do the same for your girl wonder." She folded her hands on the desk in front of her. 

"I've got floors filled to the brim with reporters. Why do I need you?" I smiled.

"Not to discredit any of your reporters, because they're all very talented. But that's just that, reporters are all they are. Reporters just inform the world of the facts. What you need is a journalsit, someone who's not afaird to get down, dirty, and right in the middle of danger to bring your loyal readers a story. " She sighed, pursing her lips, and I knew right then that I'd won her over.  

"Keira!" 

"Yes, Ms. Grant?" I turned around to see a sweet, doe-eyed girl holding an iPad.

"This is Sarah Kingsly. Get her a desk."

"Yes ma'am." She gave me a small smile before leaving the office again. I turned to face her.

"If you make me regret this, I will ensure that you are blackballed by every media outlet in the country, do you understand?" I nodded. "I want a Supergirl Expose on my desk by the end of the week, and if it is anything less than perfection you will be homless in the streets of Metropolis, I want that to remain perfectly clear."

"Crystal. Beleive me."

"Get out of my office." I stood up, smiling brightly at her. "You start tomorrow."

"It was a pleasure doing business with you." She put her glasses on, peering at me over the top of them before going back to her work. I turned, walking out of her office. 

~~~Kara~~~

"What is Sarah Kinglsey doing here?" I leaned against Winn's desk, watching as the blonde girl left the office, smiling brightly. 

"Who?" I asked my best friend. I followed his star-struck gaze to the blonde girl.

"Sarah Kinglsey. Star reporter for the Daily Planet, expert on all things Superman, since she's know back home for dating him. "

"She dated my cousin?!" I whispered. "My cousin actually has a love life?" 

"What's she doing here?"  I turned, looking at her again as she waited for the elevator.

"She just got a job."

"Wait, she's going to be working here? W-With us?"

"Winn...are you infatuated with Sarah Kingsley."

"No!" He said harshly. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "No, I'm not." His tone softened the second time. I sighed.

"Kiera!"

"Duty calls."