Chapter Eight: That Look and What I'm Thankful For

I woke up in the hospital.

I opened my eyes, looking around. Winn was pacing in front on my bed, his arms crossed. His hair was a mess, like he'd been raking his hand through it over and over again. I just watched him for a moment, before looking down at my wrists. They had bandages wrapped around them.

"Sarah." I looked up to see Winn, now looking at me. "They won't scar if that's what you're worried about. Your sweater absorbed most of the electricity." I looked back down at my wrists. "I'm sorry." I shook my head. "They...they weren't sure you were gonna make it."

"I wasn't sure I was going to either." 

"Why did you do that?!" His caring tone now replaced with a scolding one, "She could have killed you, Sarah. She almost did! We thought you were dying and James had to call your Aunt-"

"What did you just say?" He stopped his rambling, realizing what he'd just said.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you that," He said awkwardly, "But um...your Aunt is in the waiting room. They asked if you had any kin that should be notified, back when they didn't know if you were gonna make it. James thought you were gonna die, and..." James appeared in the doorway.

"Why did you call her?" I asked dryly. He winced slightly at the look I was giving him.

"We thought you were dying Sarah-"

"Yeah, I heard that part, thanks. I mean you know her. You know how much I hate her, you know how much she hates me, you know the things she did, so why would you call her?" He sighed.

"I just called her to tell her that you were...you know. The doctor gave us the news while I was on the phone and she said she was coming down here." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I'm so-"

"Where is my useless excuse of a niece?" The think New Jersey accent floated through the halls like a warning bell, for anyone in the area to evacuate before the storm that was my Aunt Carla.  She appeared beside James. "There you are. Glad you're not dead, darling." 

"Now, I kind of wish I was." I told her, glaring.

"That is no way to talk to the woman that raised you." I raised my eyebrows.

"Raised me? Raised me. The only think you raised me to do was hide cigarette burns with make-up." I pushed the sleeve of my gown up, revealing the circle-shaped scars that littered my arm.  James looked at his feet guiltily and Winn looked like he wanted to cry. "You just came to collect my inheritance." I explained. "But unfortunately for you, I fixed that little situation. If somehow, given the way you smoke, I die before you do, you won't get one measly cent." Her fake smile fell.

"Why you little-"

"I think it's best you leave now." James told her.  She glared at him, then at me.

"Buh-bye now." James took hold of her arm, which she yanked it away.

"I can walk on my own!" She shouted. She fluffed her hair a bit, gave us all the nastiest look she could muster, and then left, her leopard print heels clicking as she went down the hall. I let my brave face fall of, and I let out a sigh of relief that she was gone, laying back against my pillow.

"I'm so sorry." James said quietly. "I knew she was awful, I didn't know..." His eyes fell to my arm and I pulled my sleeve down. 

"It's ok. It's fine." I told him. "You should get back to Kara, I'm sure she's got her hands full."

"Sar-"

"I know James. you were just doing what you thought was right. Really, it's fine. Go." He nodded, giving us both a small smile before leaving the hospital room. Winn looked at me, and I was half expecting the sad, kicked-puppy look that I get from everyone who finds out about my life. But he wasn't looking at me like that.

"Why aren't you looking at me like everyone else looks at me?" I asked.

"Let's just say, I understand the traumatizing family history." He replied. "I know how much that look sucks." I nodded.

"Thank you." He gave me a small smile before sitting down in the chair beside me.

"They're holding you overnight, just to make sure that you're stable." He told me.

"You should get home and get to bed. You have work in the morning." He shook his head.

" 'Home' and 'bed' are right here until you have the all clear." I smiled at him, and he grabbed my hand. "Get some sleep. I'm sure you need it." He stood up, turning the lights off and settling down in his chair.

"Come on." I told him.

"Come on what?" he asked.

"If you think I'm letting you sleep in that chair, you don't understand me as well as you think you do." 

"I-you-I don't-what?" He asked. I scooted over, grabbing his arm and pulling him onto the bed.

"Oh. OH." He said, figuring out what I was saying. The bed wasn't exactly made for two people, so we were pretty Jam, packed together. 

"Goodnight, Winn."

"Goodnight, Sarah." I just laid there, listening to the steady beat of my heart, and Winn's breathing until I fell asleep.

It's a good thing I had mastered controlling my heart rate. 

~~~

Despite Winn's protestations, I went to work anyways. When I got there, Cat automatically called me into her office.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked. 

"Yes. I just wanted to say..." She took her glasses of, looking up at me, "If last night was some attempt at getting Workman's comp, I will fire you so fast your head will spin." People who don't understand the language of Cat Grant would be offended by being told that after saving her life. But I knew how Cat did things. That's what came out of her mouth, but what she really meant is:

Thank you for saving my life.

"Yes ma'am." She nodded at me and I turned around, leaving the office and approaching Winn and Kara. Kara had a pile of Tupperware containers in her arms.

"Ok, Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potato and three slices of pie each. Payment in full for putting up with my crazy family...and, you know...almost dying." I smiled.

"Thank you, Kara. 

"Oh, yeah." Winn laughed. "So, um...I didn't get to tell you guys what I was thankful for."

"You were in the middle of a war zone." Kara pointed out.

"My dad's in prison." I stopped. That must've been what he meant last night. I saw Kara give him that look, and we made eye contact.

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. He's a very bad person, and he deserves to be there." He looked at me, knowing I'd want to contribute to this too.

"And both of my parents are dead, and I grew up with an Aunt who abused me and only wanted my inheritance." I threw in. Her kicked-puppy look only saddened.

"So, anyways, our families don't really do holidays. So even with all the nuttiness of yours..."

"We're both grateful to have been included. To have a friend that cares enough about us to include us." 

"What we're grateful for is you." Kara smiled.

"You too. Oh, hey guys! How was wine country?" I gave Winn an apologetic look.

"So, I don't get the look from you when I say my dad is in prison, but I get that look when the girl I like doesn't like me back?" I asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up. I'm thankful for you too, in case you were wondering."

"I...really?" I nodded.

"More so now than ever. You understand me, Winn. Nobody's ever understood me before." I leaned foreword, pressing my lips to his cheek, before going over to meet Kara, James, and Lucy.