Chapter One: The Girl of Steel and The Man Who Ruined Everything

It was called Noonans. Noonans.

I grew up in National City, but I forgot just how strange the place can be.

"Name please?" The woman at the cashier asked.

"Sarah Kingsley." I told her. She wrote it on my coffee cup, retreating back further behind the counter. I looked around, catching onto a conversation that was going on behind me. 

"Mm, thank you."

"How can you eat sticky buns for breakfast every day and still say so thin?" 

"I'm an alien." I peered over my shoulder to reveal Keira, Cat's assistant. Another girl with short brown hair appeared behind the waitress. "Hi." She greeted.

"Hey. Are you ok? i called you like a bunch of times last night, where were you?"

"I think I fell asleep last night. Yesterday was a pretty long day."

"Morning! Hey." No. No, no, no, no, no. I knew that voice. I'd been in the worst situations of my life with that voice. What in the heck was Jimmy Olsen doing here?" 

"Hey. Um, what are you doing here?" Good question Keira. 

"Oh, this is the only place that makes this really hard-to-find drink I like. Tea." I heard Keira laugh, but more laughter than was required for such an un-funny joke that was barely a joke. Somebody's got a crush.

"That's really funny. That's funny. Alex, you remember James Olsen, my friend from work." 

"Yeah."

"How's the covert alien-hunting business."

"Not as covert as we would prefer." My eyes widened, and I looked over my shoulder. 

"I didn't tell him."

"Look, it's ok. I can be trusted with a big secret."

"Well, I hope you'll extend the same cortousy to my sister." What did that mean?

"Always." He replied. "Meet up back at the office?"

"Yes." I turned around again, hoping I was safe, feeling that I was home free. But then...

"Sarah Kingsley!" A guy shouted from behind the counter, a paper cup in his hand. "Sarah Kingsley." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jimmy start looking around. "Sarah King-"

"That's me, that's mine, thank you, keep the change." I threw a ten on the counter and grabbed my bag, going to hurriedly leave Noonans, when a large hand clasped around my elbow. I cringed.

"Sarah...that's no way to treat an old friend." I turned around to face him.

"Hi...Jimmy."

"I go by James now." I nodded.

"Good to know. Lovely catching up with you. Bye now." I turned, walking away, only getting a step or two before he called after me:

"He's worried about you you know." I stopped, closing my eyes. I shook my head, turning around.

"He doesn't get to be worried about me. He lost that right when he ended it."

"He was trying to protect you. Reactron nearly killed you, and he-"

"He was being the big bad hero, saving the day, once again. Distancing himself from me to rescue me from danger, but it doesn't occur to him that some people don't wnat to be saved. I'll see you at work."

"Wait, what?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah, didn't you hear? I'm the new reporter at CatCo. I'm working on an expose about Supergirl. Keira didn't tell you?"

"Kara." He corrected. I nodded.

"That is just like Cat, calling her assistant by the wrong name. Well, I'll see you there, I guess."

"And I'll tell Superman you say hi."

"Do that, and I'll kill you."  He chuckled and I walked out the door. As angry as I was at Clark, I had missed james. Which kind of made me miss the good ole' days. The three of us against the world. So much for that now.

~~~
 I showed up at the officd with a box full of things for my desk. Kara met me.

"Sarah, good to see you again." She greeted me. "Welcome to Catco."

"Thank you, Kara." She furrowed her eyebrows. "James told me how you actually pronnounce your name. Does she always call you that."

"Every day." I nodded, smiling. "Your desk is right here, beside Winn, our IT guy, and my best friend. Winn Schott, meet Sarah Kinglsey."

"Nice to meet you." He shook my hand.

"Yeah, you too." 

"Sarah's gonna be your new desk neighbor." He looked at her with wide eyes then back at me.

"Relax. I don't bite." I turned around to see a news story that stated that Superman and Supergirl are cousins.

"What?!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, um...you know him, right?" Winn asked.

"Yeah. I just didn't know he had a cousin...or that she was Supergirl." I squinted at the picture of her and turned around, looking at kara. Being as close to Clark as I was, you learn to look past a good pair of glasses and an innocent demeanor. Kara is, in fact, Supergirl.  It was evident from the look on her face, that she was dead terrified that I knew it, too. "Well, might as well get settled in, right? Have a nice day Kara."

~~~Kara~~~

"Oh my gosh, I think she knows." I whispered, putting a hand over her mouth. He looked behind him, and I looked too. She was emptying a box of things on her desk. She was wearing a short, orange dress, and hair was in a bun.

 She was wearing a short, orange dress, and hair was in a bun

"I don't think she knows. She can't know. How could she know?" He asked.

"I don't know, but she does. She definetly does, Winn."

"Ok, Kara, calm donw." He put his hand on my arms. "You're freaking out over something that you don't even know is true. Relax. We'll keep an eye on her, ok?" I nodded, looking down at my feet. "Don't worry. I've got this." 

"Thank you Winn. You're the best."

~~~Sarah~~~

It's my first night in National City, it's dinner time, I'm thinking food truck.

I stood in line, placing my order when I heard people scream. I turned around to see who else but Reactron. The man who ruined everything between Superman and I, and nearly killed me a few months ago.

"Sarah Kinglsey." 

"Oh, it's you. Surprise, surprise. The landing and arrival could've been more inconspcuous, but who doesn't have room for improvement?" I told him, "Let me guess...you want Superman to suffer?" He walked up to me, towering over to me, and I'm nto gonna lie, I got a bit scared. 

"I'm gonna finish what I started...then his cousin is next, and you're gonna give her a bit of extra modivation." I opened my mouth to make some snarky comment, but i don't remember what it was because before I even uttered a sound, his metal glove collided with my face, causing me to pass out intantly.