Chapter 3: Escaping Darius Carter

"You did this on purpose," I say the moment we enter my father's office, even though I know he couldn't have known.

My Dad swiftly looks at me. "Did what?"

"Threw a huge party hoping I would find my mate somewhere in the crowd and stay," I close the door behind us.

"Lily... Why do you always have to blame me? Never in my wildest dreams-"

"Oh, spare me," I cut him off. I know he must be bursting with excitement. "Don't insult my intelligence by pretending you aren't happy with the turn of events."

He is silent at first, brooding. Then he speaks. "You're right about me wishing to have you here. But I am not lying when I say I did not expect this. Of all the people..." he sits in his chair, worried, "why did it have to be him?"

I shoot him with a stare. "Why do you say that? What's wrong with him?" If my father is displeased about this situation, then there's definitely something wrong.

"It's just that...he's a Carter. Their Alpha even. You know how they are..."

"No."
I'm not kidding. I've been out of this place for years and even before I was never interested in gossip. I always knew I would leave before following an Alpha.

My dad shakes his head, lifting his gaze off the floor. "Well, you know Darius is too young to be an alpha by heritage."

My forehead crinkles. I don't have patience for this tip toeing. "Give it to me straight."

"He killed the previous Alpha, Lily. His uncle. That's how he assumed the position."

Shit.

I forgot the Carter pack still functions like in the old age - allowing Alphas to be challenged for their position at any time.

How awful. Being constantly in fear of your own pack members. Only he doesn't seem to be a tad afraid.

"Wait," I just realize something, "had I won the fight... I would have become the Carter leader."

My dad chuckles. "Only if you had murderer Darius. Given he's your mate...that seems unlikely. And you already are their Luna."

Not by merit, though. By 'marriage'. And I know how dominating Alphas can be. If he murdered his own uncle to rule, I doubt he's all about equality and sharing.
I shake my head. "I can't do this," and collapse onto his couch. "You know I can't better than most."

"Listen," he puts a hand over my shoulder. "You can't escape who you are. Human life will never be enough. I saw you on that field - you still have the same problem, Lily."

I frown. "He attacked Ian, dad."

He almost laughs. "That's not why you provoked him. And why you fought him even after Ian was left alone." He raises an eyebrow. "You wanted to prove you were better. I know I wasn't a stellar dad, but I know this much. Ever since you were a little girl, you challenged those kids who had a better title. You can't accept being a subordinate."

"No," I cut him off, "the thing I can't accept is that I have my life cut out for me! I didn't need this, dad! I had my life planned out. Ok? I still do!"