Chapter 26: All Cards Out

I park my car in front of the Carter house and walk inside with purpose. I go straight toward Darius' office - I know he's there because the smell leads me to it.

As I approach, I hear many other voice - another pack meeting. One without their fake 'Luna' as per usual.

I open the door and walk in, not paying any attention to the dozen people inside, besides my mate.

He stares right back at me.

"Meeting's over," I say, still not parting my eyes.

Darius purses his lips a little, and I can tell he's deciding whether to send me off at once and keep his word that we're done.

Finally, he nods to Derek.

The crowd gets up and leaves, some of them greeting me on the way out. Others ignoring me as per usual - I'm still holding a bad rep.

As the door closes, I strut towards his desk, still not breaking our eye-contact, then stand with legs apart, my hands in my pockets.

"Welcome back. Luna," he says ironically with his deep voice.

I slant my lips in irritation. "Please," I blink once. "We both know I was never Carter's Luna."

He squints a little, now amused. "Is that so?"

I'm tired of playing games, so I take something out of my pocket and lay it on the desk, piercing his eyes with mine.

He finally breaks the eye contact as my hand uncovers a jewel on the desk.

The jewel. The sacred Carter pack jewel, considered lost eight years ago.

"I'm tired of lying," I say simply, waiting for his shocked reaction.

But I'm the one who gets shocked as he lazily blinks, then meets my eyes with calmness.

"You must think I didn't know it was you."

What?

I swallow hard, tilting my head. "What are you saying?"

He massages his temples shortly. "Lila," he gets up slowly, and walks towards me in slow alpha steps. "I know."

I take a step back. "Know what?"

He leans onto his desk, peacefully crossing his arms. "We saw each other that night. Eight years ago," he says ruggedly. "I saw you steal the jewel."

I swallow hard. I remember the boy who stared at me. I didn't... I didn't know he saw me take it. It was him.

"If you saw it..." I shake my head. "Why didn't you say anything?"

He scoffs almost smiling. "You were my mate," he states. "I couldn't have you killed," he squints. "If it was anyone else..."

"You... knew I was your mate, even back then"?

He curls a corner of his lips. "I wasn't sure  at first," he gazes at me, expression unchanged. "Thought I felt those weird emotions because I challenged my uncle to duel or because of the adrenalin, but... I figured soon enough," he nods once. "When I was unable to feel a connection with a woman. Any woman. To fall in love. I knew why that was."

I shake my head, taking another step back. "Wait a second... if you knew... you must've looked for me."

He clenches his jaw. "I did."

I can't believe this.

"Didn't take long until I learned your name. The infamous Lila King of the Emerson pack. But then I learned you left the pack."