Chapter 28: Clean Slate

I leave the bathroom of Wolves&Beasts restaurant and walk to where my family's seated. 

The place is decorated with black and red balloons, confetti are lying all over the floor and there's food and drinks in each and every corner - being replenished just as fast as it disappears. We're celebrating my eldest brother's graduation.

I smile walking up to them. "Hi, guys," I lay a kiss onto Jamie and Jason's cheek before they can see me.

"Lily!" Jamie exclaims excitedly, "Perfect. We were just discussing what we could as a prank for Jake, but we couldn't decide between-"

"Oh, no," I cut him off, "prank days are behind me," I jokingly raise an admonishing brow.

"Oh, c'mon, you're like the top prankster," he insists. "You don't have to do it with us, just give us an idea and we'll do it ourselves. No one has to know you helped us."

"Alright, let me hear the idea and if it's not totally crazy or dangerous, I'll see what I can -" but my sentence breaks as I see Darius escorting a woman to a chair at our table.

He lays a hand over her back, then whispers something into her ear.

Oh, hell no, my wolf's enraged. 

"Give me a second," I tell my brothers, then march toward me and Darius' table.

"Oh, thank you," the girl smiles at Darius. "You're the best," she touches his arm.

I approach them from the back just as a waiter arrives. 

"Everything fine here?" the waiter checks in on us.

"Would it be terribly wrong if I killed her?" I say as I take my seat next to Darius, not caring everyone hears me. Well, actually that was the point.

Darius curls the corners of his lips. "Pretty much, considering she's joining our pack."

"Uhm, I'll come back later," the waiter rushes to leave.

The girl turns towards me, looking scared and embarrassed. Then her face changes to surprise. "Oh, my God," she says, "Lil!"

I frown - no one calls me Lil besides...

I swallow hard. That's Dianne. She's Dione's little sister. Only, she ain't little no more. 

"Dianne," I nod, my eyes running to the floor in an instant. "I'm sorry about what happened," I barely manage to utter. 

"C'mon, I know you were only joking," she says but her voice tells me she isn't convinced.

"I meant about Dione," I meet her eyes.

She shakes her head, her eyes welling up. 

"I miss him so much," water runs to my eyes.

She nods, fighting off tears. "You never should've led him there..."

I tighten my jaw. It wasn't my idea - it was his. But I'd be damned if I betray him now that he's gone. "I know," I look at her. "I wish I could take it back more than anything in the world," I stare at her with blurry vision. "But I can't," tears roll down my cheeks.

Dianne cries, too. "I know you loved him," she whispers, then her eyes rush back to Darius as if she got startled. She looks down to the floor in apology.

"It's okay," I hold her arms. "Darius knows," I say, nodding.

She looks at him again, weary, then leans in to give me a hug - one of the best hugs I've ever received. The friendly, genuine hugs filled with forgiveness and nostalgia.