Chapter 20: Something Stupid

I watch the blood on the toilet paper - confirming my thoughts: I'm not pregnant.

I walk out of the toilet and down the staircase to the ground-floor. I follow the scent of my mate and it leads me to his office.

I take a deep breath as I stand in front of its door, my eyes shut. I haven't been this nervous in a long time.

"Come in, Lila," I hear his voice before I can knock.

Of course.

I grasp the door knob and enter, then stand in place. My face is blunt - no smile, no nothing.

He watches me with now squinted eyes, closing his laptop. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head, then slowly walk to his desk. "Nothing," I occupy the chair in front of it, crossing my fingers calmly. "I'm not pregnant."

He frowns, leaning onto his chair. "Period?"

I nod. "Got it this morning."

He presses his lips, inhaling loudly. "What now?"

I swallow hard. "I've thought about it..." I watch his rough face, his deep eyes, and I feel his tension. "And I decided I'll go to the woods," I state and his eyebrow immediately goes up in anger. "I want to learn the truth behind this... mystery," I nod. "At last."

He exhales a deep breath. When he speaks, his voice is rugged. "Fine. We'll go tomorrow morning."

I knew this would happen. But I can't allow him to take his pack with me - there'll be bloodshed. "No," I insist, looking straight into his eyes. "I need to do this alone."

He scoffs. "The hell you do."

I shake my head. "I'm not asking for permission. I came to tell you how things were."

He stands up now. "I don't care why you came," he's next to me in a heartbeat. "I'm saying there's no chance in fucking hell I'm letting you go out there by yourself," he states matter-of-factly with a chilling voice.

"So I am a prisoner to you, after-all? Even without the baby." I push it.

"No," he clenches his jaw. "You're not a prisoner. But you're my mate. And I won't let you do something as reckless."

"I don't see you asking permission from me when you go fighting vampires," I state the facts. "What's the difference? Me being a woman? Let me remind you I'm a goddamn werewolf just like you are," my words are cutting blades.

His eyes go a shade darker. "I am the goddamn Alpha, Lila. Like it or not. Woman or werewolf, it's my duty to protect you. And that's what I'll do."

"So what are you gonna do - lock me up in the room?"

He keeps eerily calm. "No. I'm just gonna tell you this one thing - you go to the woods, you and me are over."

"Fine by me," I hiss through gritted teeth.

We share one last defiant stare and then he walks out the office.

"Where are you going?" I ask rhetorically. "Oh, yeah, wherever the fuck you want," I mumble because he can't hear me anymore. He left. Location unknown. Because he's a free man. And obviously he refuses to give me the same freedom I give him.