Chapter 9: Luring Me Into His Bed

Saying that I wake up would be a lie. I simply open my eyes, giving up on the pointless struggle to catch any sleep.

I get out of bed and straight into shower, as I need something to regain energy.

When I descend the stairs, I find only Darius at the kitchen table.

Of course. Others must be still asleep. The Sun barely came out.

"Good morning," I say as I enter and notice the table is full of bread, charcuterie, and all sorts of spreads. Aliana is obviously up whenever the Alpha needs her to be up.

"Is it?" he smirks, not really paying attention to me.

I know my designated seat is opposite of Darius, but I choose to occupy a vacant seat close to him and pour myself a glass of what looks like freshly squeezed orange juice. "Want some?"

He is amused by my gesture. "Aren't you the world's best mate?"

I ignore the sarcasm. "You flatter me."

"Mm," he gulps down his cup of coffee. Something tells me it ain't his first. "You slept well last night?"

"Perfect," I raise my eyebrows convincingly. "The mattress is super soft, I love it."

"Good morning!" Debra smiles walking in. That woman is always lit up.

He smirks, knowing that I am lying. "That's great. You should check out mine," he then leans in so that no one else can hear. "It's super hard, but I'm sure you'd love it."

I almost choke on my orange juice - I bring my hand up, coughing.

"Are you fine, darling?" Debra asks in concern, as Darius enjoys the effect his remark gave me.

"All good," I force a smile. "Went down the wrong way," I shake it off.

"Don't scare me," Darius leans in - lying - I know he's enjoying his game of luring me in. "I just hate you denying all the pleasure I want to give," he whispers in a rough manly voice, then gets up.

"Alright, folks. I'm off to duty. Take care of the fam, bro," he addresses Terry just as he walks into the dining room.

"Sure thing, bro. Kill those motherfuckers."

I frown. "Kill whom?"

"No need to worry, baby," Darius puts his hands over my shoulders and squeezes them shortly. "I just hope two sleepless nights won't cost me my reflexes," he mumbles.

"He-yo!" Terry laughs, even though he totally misinterpreted the reason behind sleep-deprivation.

"Manipulator," I whisper to him, because I know he's purposely trying to make me feel bad. Pushing guilt on me like I'm some silly teenage girl.

As he leaves, I address Terry. "What's going on? Is something wrong?"

He shakes his head. "Probably just a false alarm."

His constant concise replies start irritating me. "A false alarm about what?"

"You heard that yesterday they encountered some vampires. Well, today they had another report for a sighting. But the odds are low."