Chapter 7 - Who wants tacos?

"Guys, we brought the good tacos," Natasha shouted, hauling in a few large bags in one hand and her purse in the other. Bucky jumped up to take the bags. Clint shook his head to himself.

"(Y/N) went to get Pepper," Natasha said, walking towards the kitchen. The guys followed but Steve just leaned forward to start collecting beer bottles off the coffee table. He deposited them in the kitchen before walking back into the sitting room to wait for (Y/N).

No sooner had he walked into the room when he heard the door open. He walked around the corner to see (Y/N) smiling at him. "Hi baby," he said. She walked into his arms and snuggled against him. "How was the movie?" he asked.

"It was okay, but then we ended up doing a little shopping and having some girl talk," she smiled.

He wondered if "girl talk" meant what he thought it could mean. He suddenly had the image of the two of them standing in a store holding up baby onesies. He shook his head and looked at her again.

"Come on, let's eat before it gets cold," she said as Pepper came through the door. "Come on, Pepper," (Y/N) said. When Tony saw Pepper walk in the kitchen, he walked right up to her and stayed close, maybe too close, for the longest time. Pepper kept giving him odd looks. Steve rather enjoyed the whole thing. Bucky was pulling out a chair for Natasha and she looked at him like she was trying to figure out why he'd do such a thing in the kitchen for taco night. Sam and Clint giggled to themselves.

Clint quickly ate a taco and then stood to say goodbye. "Gotta get back," he said. "Gentlemen, good luck. Thanks for the game." He raised and eyebrow and took off.

Steve sat next to (Y/N) and watched her closely instead of eating. She was acting so normal and laughing. He thought it couldn't be her. He realized that it made him just a hair sad to think that it wasn't her.

Natasha, however, was acting strange... but maybe it was just that Bucky was being overly attentive.

Pepper looked tired. She had been working all afternoon and before that, she'd flown back from California... so...

Tony looked at Steve and Bucky. It was like they could see a lightbulb go off over his head. "Ladies, any of you care for margaritas?"

Bucky sat forward, waiting for an answer. Sam watched closely and Steve sat back, thinking this wasn't a good test of the situation.

"No, thanks," (Y/N) said.

"I'm good," Natasha said.

"You know I don't like margaritas, Tony," Pepper said.

Tony pursed his lips. Sam smiled at Steve and raised his eyebrows. Steve sat with his arm around the back of (Y/N)'s chair, determined not to get involved in the games.

"This is amazing, Nat. I'm so glad you suggested tacos, I've been wanting them for weeks," (Y/N) said to Natasha. Bucky and Sam looked at Steve.

"Yeah, I couldn't stop thinking about them," Natasha said. Bucky looked at Steve and Sam from under his eyebrows. If he could have said "I can't take this anymore" out loud, that's what he would have said.

"What's with all the looking at each other?" Pepper asked, her face scrunching up. "What the hell did you guys do today anyway? Drink?"

"We did, dear," Tony said.

"Okay, I've had enough fun for the day. I have jet lag, I'm headed for bed," Pepper said to the group. Tony followed her so closely, if she stopped, he would have ended up with a flattened face.

The remaining Avengers sat around the table and talked until (Y/N) stifled a yawn, leaning into Steve. They headed off to bed, leaving only three.