Chapter 8 - How did...?

"Tired, honey?" Steve asked, putting his arm around (Y/N) as they rode the elevator to their floor.

"Mmm, yeah," she said sleepily, leaning on him more. "Are you ready for bed or is it too early for you?"

"I'll join you," he said. "I missed you today."

(Y/N) slipped her hand inside his and squeezed as the elevator door opened. "Home sweet home," she said. They walked into the bedroom and started changing. Steve found himself looking at her closely when she took her shirt off, still somewhat sad that it didn't seem like she could be the one...

"Steve, I know what you're thinking about over there..." she smiled.

"You do?"

"Of course I do. I'm tired but if you want to, I'm game," she said.

"Oh, no... no, that's not what I was thinking about," he said.

"What's the matter, bud?" she asked, noticing his uneasy look. She slipped her jeans off and pulled a t-shirt over her head to sleep in.

"Something happened today."

"Okay," she said, giving him an odd look. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure how to tell you about his so I'm just going to say it. Dewey got into the trash today and we found a pregnancy test. All of us have been on pins and needles all afternoon."

(Y/N) laughed. "Oh, Steve. I would pay money to have seen your faces."

Steve joined in the laughter. "So it's not you then, okay." He wasn't asking a question, he was now sure it couldn't be (Y/N) based on her reaction. He started unbuttoning his shirt with a big grin as (Y/N) reached into her purse. "So do you know if it's Pepper or Nat?" he asked.

(Y/N) handed him a white bag. "Got something for you today," she said.

Steve sat down on the bed and peeked into the bag. (Y/N) sat down next to him. He pulled out a small box. Opening it, his mouth fell open. "Are you? How did...? I thought...?" He carefully picked a positive pregnancy test out of the box with his own fingers. (Y/N) pointed to the inside of the box which had writing on it: Open the bag, Daddy.

Steve reached into the bag and pulled out a white onesie. Imprinted on it was a large blue star. He turned to (Y/N) with his eyebrows up and his mouth open. "Baby, are you serious?"

(Y/N) reached her arms around his shoulders and pressed her cheek against his. "Congratulations, Daddy." Steve put the bag and the box on the bed and slipped one arm around her back and the other under her knees, picking her up with one swift move.

Steve looked at (Y/N), his eyes starting to look watery. "I can't believe this, I just can't believe it..."

"I was worried you wouldn't be happy about the news," she said.

"Oh no, honey," he shook his head and pressed his face into hers, "I'm so happy." (Y/N) was relieved and tightened her arms around his neck.

Steve looked at her again. "So what was the other test we found?"

"I took two tests," she laughed, "just to be sure."

"Why didn't you tell me, sweetheart?" he asked softly.

"Well, I was waiting for Thursday," she said. "I thought it would be special to tell you on Thanksgiving."

"Oh," he said, "that's actually very sweet. I guess I ruined that."

"Babe, you didn't ruin anything. I love the way you reacted," (Y/N) said. "I'm relieved."

"Can you hold it in a few more days?" he asked.

"About 8 more months, Steve," she joked.

"Funny girl, I meant can you keep it a secret? We could tell the team on Thursday..."

"Yes, that's a great idea," she said, watching his face. His big grin was heartwarming. "Steve?"

"Yes, baby?"

"You don't have to keep holding me up in the air like this..." she said.

He laughed and set her down gently. "How are you feeling anyway?"

"Great, except truthfully, I'm relieved that you know now so that I don't have to try and throw up so quietly every morning."

"Aww, baby," he said, leaning down to rub her stomach. He reached into a hug and held her tight. "I'm so happy, (Y/N). I love you so much."