2 - LAST FIRST DAY

4 YEARS LATER

4 YEARS LATER

IT WAS THE START OF LIZ'S LAST SCHOOL YEAR AND BROOKE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL. As a sophomore, she still had two years to go before she got to leave Midtown and while she appreciated her parents paying so much to let them go to that school, it was small enough that an ordinary public school could've given the both of them more options for classes.

But when you're Liz Allan, being attached to a school as prestigious as Midtown was merely icing on the cake; she did so much that she could get into any college she wanted.

Brooke, on the other hand, wasn't so sure she could say the same. As the younger sister to the poster child of good daughters, she had a lot to live up to and none of the tools to actually make it, nor the drive to want to. All she wanted was to get out of that school.

Unfortunately, Liz left first. Which meant Brooke would have to meet all of the requirements that Liz set for her after receiving her diploma.

"No, stop, we have to take a picture!" the girl's mother called out, stopping the girls before they walked out the door. Neither drove—Liz had a fear of driving as it was unpredictable and Brooke couldn't be bothered to get her permit—so they were being picked up by one of Liz's decathlon teammates.

"Mom," Liz sighed, rolling her eyes. She was dressed in a sweater and skirt, a staple for her, but both were new, courtesy of the shopping trip the three Allan women went on.

"Honey, it's the first day of your last year, we have to remember this," their mother pleaded, smiling.

Liz sighed good-naturedly and smiled for the camera. Brooke inched out of frame, frowning as her mother took multiple pictures. Noticing that her sister wasn't in the frame, Liz reached out and wiggled her fingers, biting her lip, not stopping until Brooke sighed and took her hand, coming to stand next to her.

The two girls smiled and looked like the most loving sisters in the world. It was often debated in Brooke's mind whether or not that was the case and she chose not to dwell on it so early in the morning.

"Let's go, Flash is waiting," Liz said, tugging her sister along, waving goodbye to their mother and shouting a goodbye to their father.

Brooke whined as she did the same, closing the door behind her. "Do we have to ride with him? He's so annoying."

"Hey, he's going through a lot," Liz said softly, waving at the boy who was checking his reflection in the mirror of his new car.

"Well, until you tell me what it is, I'm just gonna assume it's his daddy not buying him a nicer car," Brooke scoffed, rolling her eyes. She adjusted her bag on her shoulder, waiting with Liz as they looked both ways before crossing the street.