19 - DINNER PLANS

IT WAS SUNDAY AND THAT WAS 'FAMILY DAY

IT WAS SUNDAY AND THAT WAS 'FAMILY DAY.' At least, that's what the Allan's always called it. Of course, it wasn't always applicable considering both parents worked demanding jobs—though Adrian's was much more vague than Doris'—but in theory it was a day to spend together as a family, playing games and watching movies and communicating. It was a nice concept, but it hardly ever followed through as all four members of the house were busy most of the week, including Sundays.

But it was the Sunday after Liz's return home, and everyone was still reeling over what had happened the day before. They weren't necessarily closer by any means, Doris still went to work when she had to, as did Adrian, and Brooke still holed herself in her room for most of the day, but they all had an understood plan to spend the evening together as a family.

At least, that was what they all thought.

But it was still early in the afternoon and Brooke and Ned were Skyping. Ned informed her that Peter and his aunt were staying in the entire day and knitting together, as they had both wanted to learn, so the boy couldn't join them for their conversation.

Secretly, Brooke was glad. While she liked Peter well enough, they weren't the closest of friends, and she would be happy to get to know him better, of course, but deep down she liked just talking and spending time with Ned, even if it was through a computer screen.

"—so, in conclusion, Luke is Rey's dad, don't even get me started on it, and I'm pretty sure Rogue One is going to destroy everyone in the theater when it comes out, because we've never seen those characters before, so they're probably gonna die. Thank you."

Brooke clapped as Ned bowed to the screen, moving to sit back down on his bed after standing for too long of a period in front of the large white board on the wall that was filled with ramblings and theories he had written out as he went along. This was what Brooke got for asking him to just talk about Star Wars, but she loved how excited the boy was when he was allowed to go on about things he liked.

It was an enthusiasm few possessed, and she would hate to see people try and contain it.

"Sorry for just going on like that, my mom tells me that I should probably not talk about that kind of stuff if I want people to like me," he said, and she frowned, shaking her head.

"No! No, I loved it, why would your mom say that?" she asked, horrified at the thought of a younger Ned being told by his mother to keep a part of him hidden to make friends.

"No, it's fine, she gets it now, but when I was transitioning from middle school to high school, my mom said that if I wanted more friends, I should find my neutral topics to talk about, but no one likes small talk, so it didn't work out even when I did try, but that's okay. I mean, I wanna be cool and popular, but...I don't want to have to force myself to like sports, so I'll find another way to get people to notice me," Ned explained, and he said it with such a simplicity to it, with the same dopey smile and whatever attitude, that Brooke could only smile and nod herself.