9 - HYPERAWARE

BROOKE HAD BECOME MUCH MORE AWARE OF THOSE AROUND HER EVER SINCE SHE BEGAN HER PROJECT

BROOKE HAD BECOME MUCH MORE AWARE OF THOSE AROUND HER EVER SINCE SHE BEGAN HER PROJECT. Now more attuned to the people around her, what a few of them could be feeling, of what they were saying about her art, it was no surprise that she began to eavesdrop more without trying, and noticing the strange habits people around her had.

For example, if Peter Parker didn't stop tapping his foot and looking at the clock every two seconds, maybe she would actually be able to concentrate.

He had been doing this every day since school began, and she hadn't noticed it much at first—or him, if she was being completely honest, though she vaguely knew him from Liz's decathlon team—she was now more attuned to it than ever, and it was driving her up the wall.

Biting her lip, she shook her head, just thinking about the different reactions she had gotten ever since putting up the last of the paintings. Except for Liz's, as she was much too afraid to work on it, but she was now taking in more confessions, as she was moving through them at a faster pace, sketching out the concepts in class when she knew people weren't looking.

She had finished the confessions about the godmothers faster than she thought she would, opting for a simpler approach, placing a globe alongside other various aspects that are generally associated with learning, adding gold foil on certain aspects to make it more interesting. It was simple and she wasn't too proud of it, but some people liked the simplicity, as there was less of a scene and more of a general idea.

The confessions about the dead mother and the aunt had been put up at the same time, and had people feeling rather sick to their stomachs, at least from the confessions themselves. Brooke personally liked to think she did a pretty good job with them.

For the confession, I WISH MY DAD COULD LOOK AT ME WITHOUT SEEING MY DEAD MOTHER, she decided to use the new reflective paint she had bought in a similar fashion as how she had used her gold leaf in the first painting she did with her own confession.

It had taken some adjustment, but she decided on a picture frame on a desk with just a woman instead of a whole family, but instead of her features, her face was simply made up of the reflective paint. Next to the painting were a wedding ring and band. She hadn't been sure about the painting, as it could be inferred that either the child or the father had the picture frame, but she hoped the simplicity would let it stand on its own while the confession finished the story, and it did, for the most part, and people were left to talk about the confession more than the painting, which was fine by her.

I'M AFRAID THAT SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN TO ME AND MY AUNT WILL BE FULLY ALONE

She had wanted to make a newspaper article that filled the entire canvas, but found it too daunting of a task, so she opted for a headstone in the foreground with an endless sea of headstones in the background, fresh flowers at the foot, making the name unreadable, a shadow cast over it in the distinct shape of a person. People had made a lot of pained sounds at it, and she hoped it was in appreciation and not disgust.