17 - DISTRACTION

BROOKE DIDN'T SPEAK TO LIZ NOR HER MOTHER ON FRIDAY

BROOKE DIDN'T SPEAK TO LIZ NOR HER MOTHER ON FRIDAY. Liz was less of a choice, more of collateral damage; by refusing to talk to her mother, she shut out Liz in the morning and on their way to school, their mother driving them, and there was no time to talk during school itself. She had wished her sister goodbye when she was heading to the bus to leave for Decathlon, but that was it, really.

"Good luck," she said to Ned who was wearing a bucket hat, leaning against the side of the bus, "I should probably get going soon, but you...try your best, and I hope you remember everything. I don't know how this works."

He shrugged. "That's pretty much it." The two laughed for a moment before she nodded, turning to Liz who smiled, holding out her arms.

"Good luck hug!" Liz squealed, and Brooke couldn't help the shriek of joy that escaped her lips as she hugged her, shocked that her sister even remembered their old tradition at all; maybe the fact she was applying to colleges was making her nostalgic.

"You remember the time?" Liz asked, pulling away, going right back into business mode, "And the venue? And you can't really ask for Bea, 'cause she doesn't give the same name to most people, so ask for either Sabine Kawahara or Matthew Mitty, they're her friends and they'll watch you."

"Matthew Mitty?" Flash called out, turning away from where he was chatting with Diana Smith, Brooke's lab partner, shoving his hands in his pockets as he took a step towards them, trying not to seem too curious, "You-you guys know Matt?"

"I'm friends with the drummer in his band, Bea," Liz said, and Flash nodded in understanding.

"It's Rhea for me, but cool. Brooke, you're going to their concert tonight?" he asked, turning to address the younger of the Allan sisters who never really had the opportunity to be met under his rather strong gaze.

"Yeah," she said, nodding, "Do-do you want me to tell him something?"

He opened and closed his mouth, glancing over towards the others who were all, for the most part, listening in. They all glanced away immediately after being caught, and Brooke watched as Flash scrambled for a piece of paper, sighing with relief when Diana handed a paper and pen over with an exasperated smile.

He scribbled on it quickly, mumbling to himself as he did, before folding it up into a star and handing it to Brooke, patting her shoulder. "Thanks, Brooke. Have fun tonight, they're a good band."

Brooke nodded, pursing her lips as she glanced over to Liz who gave her a tense smile before leaning over to whisper, "I'm about eighty percent sure they're in love, but I need you to do some reconnassaince for me to get the other twenty percent."

Brooke fought back a smile, giving her a mock salute. "You got it. I should probably get going now."

"Can I get a good luck hug?" Ned asked quickly, just as she was about to walk away, and Brooke turned on her heel, nodding.