10 - BULL SESSION

BROOKE LOVED LISTENING TO LIZ COMPLAIN

BROOKE LOVED LISTENING TO LIZ COMPLAIN. It reminded her that Liz was human, though it also reminded her of how sad it was that her sister was so strung up on all the responsibilities she had taken upon herself. Liz loved being in control of all the things around her, and she did love being busy and being so put together—she needed to be, really—though, with that, came great frustration when things didn't work out.

And Brooke was always one of the only people to see her fall apart.

"It's just so frustrating, it's Nationals, and college apps still aren't due, so if we end up doing really well, I could add it on, especially considering that I've gone all four years, but Peter's our best in Physics—no offense to Flash who works so hard and has been really on top of his game ever since he joined, which is really great of him, don't get me wrong—but you'd think he'd just stick it out for us, you know?"

Brooke took a bite of her granola bar, lying on her stomach, finishing up her quick studies of Liz pacing about her room. "That's really insensitive to the hard work you guys have put into this whole thing, though it's weird Nationals are so early in the year."

"Yeah, I don't get that, but it's what they do so," Liz mumbled, waving off her question, "The point is that I just—it's upsetting to me. I mean, we have a week before Nationals."

"Well, like Peter said, maybe they won't have a Physics challenge two years in a row, though still doesn't erase the fact that he's being a flake," Brooke said, now moving on to another page to do a more finished piece of Liz being stretched out in different directions with string to represent the responsibilities she had taken on.

Liz sighed and dropped down onto Brooke's bed, propped up on her forearms, tilting her head onto her shoulder. "I miss hanging out with you."

Brooke was so shocked that she couldn't even stop herself before breathing out a, "Really?"

Liz sat up straighter then, her brows furrowing further as she looked down at her younger sister. "Why are you surprised?"

Brooke shrugged, trying to focus on her sketching despite not being able to properly hold her pencil anymore. "You never hang out with me anymore, didn't think you actually missed me."

She continued to focus on her work, refusing to look over at Liz who had grown still next to her, now propped up onto her hands. Brooke tried to act aloof about the whole thing, her hand shaking as she continued to sketch Liz, hoping her sister didn't look over to see how easy it was for her to draw her without reference.

After a solid minute—or maybe three hours, time was irrelevant when one was dying of shame—Brooke felt her bed shift and was then enveloped in a modified hug, Liz's head resting on her shoulder, her body almost draped over her, arms holding her middle.

"I'm sorry," Liz said softly.

"It's okay," Brooke mumbled back, shrugging, Liz's head still resting on her.