Chapter 4 - The Note

Zinnia's POV

She swallowed nervously. Zinnia hadn't seen Sage for days, and she was concerned for her. Genji wouldn't tell her anything and no one else had seen Sage for the past week. Zinnia was trying to work up the courage to visit her room, tell her she was sorry. She made her way to her room, and as she paused outside her door she pressed her ear against the door. Zinnia frowned, that was strange, she couldn't hear anything. The doors in this place were thin, like paper, you could hear the breathing of whoever slept inside. Zinnia carefully opened the door, making sure that she hadn't buried herself in her covers and was asleep.

What Zinnia saw almost stopped her heart. The bed was neatly made, the desk was neat and tidy. There was a piece of paper with writing scrawled across it. The wardrobe door was slightly open and clothes were starting to spill from it as if they had been yanked out hastily. A few stray clothes littered the floor, and multiple large bags lay against the wall. She realised that the largest bag Sage had, was gone. Zinnia pulled the wardrobe door open, eyes wide with panic. Half the clothes were gone. Everything was gone. Only a few things weren't there. A feeling of dread settled over Zinnia. She knew what that note would say. She didn't want to read it. But if she wanted to know anything about Sage, she would have to read it.

With trembling fingers, Zinnia picked the note up, the paper rough. A pencil lay haphazardly on the desk as if it had been thrown down in a hurry.  As Zinnia skimmed over the words, she felt moisture prick her eyes. 

Zinnia swallowed the lump in her throat before turning, running towards the main room.

"Commander! Captain!" She cried, the sob echoing in her throat.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Mercy sprinted to me, checking me over for any injuries.

"It's Sage." Zinnia murmured, still looking at the Commander as he stared down.

"What is that? Zinnia, what is that?" Mercy noticed the note in her hands and she didn't protest as the doctor took it from her.

"What is it, Angela?" The Captain hurried down the stairs.

Mercy covered her mouth in shock, guilt and regret shining in her eyes as she glanced at Ana. "I should have done something more. I should have helped her. I should have noticed. I should have..." She was starting to tremble, Zinnia had never seen the doctor get so out of control as Angela knelt on the ground.

"It's all my fault." Zinnia whispered.

"No it's mine." Doctor Zeigler was full of despair. "I should have done something. I saw that she was struggling... I should have saved her... I should have been there for her."

The Commander snatched the note from Mercy's hands. "It can't be...that...bad..." His voice trailed off as he read the note.

He looked up from the note, meeting Zinnia's eyes as Genji noticed the crowd.

"What is it?" He asked. "Why do you have a letter from Sage?"

All Morrison could do was stare at Genji in disbelief as the reality sank in.

Sage was gone. And there was nothing the Overwatch members could do about it.

Sorry I had to unpublish the last chapter because I felt like this would fit the order more! Also sorry for the shortness of this chapter!!! I hope you like it though :)

-KittyKatJo2