Chapter 8 - Starlight

I woke to the whisper of the wind on the leaves. I blinked my eyes open. It was already dark. Nighttime had fallen and the stars glittered above me. The grass rustled around me and as I woke myself up I heard footsteps from above me. I immediately tensed, looking around. I tapped the gems on my jewelry, making them glow and wake up.

"Sage?" I relaxed slightly at the voice. 

"Genji!" I sighed, turning to see a glowing red shape walk towards me. "What are you doing here? I told you not to come!" Already, my voice was becoming hoarse again.

"You sounded like you needed help." He replied shortly, dumping a heavy bag on the grass.

An awkward silence followed as he busied himself with opening the contents of the bag.

"What's in that bag? What are you doing?" I asked, trying to fill the gaping silence.

"We need a fire to eat don't we?" Genji was pulling things out. "You need food and water."

Another stretch of quiet followed, and it was only when he got the fire going when we spoke again.

I sat down opposite Genji. "Look... Genji I-"

"I get it Sage." He cut me off. "You were struggling. You thought you had no way out of it."

"No, you don't understa-"

"Sage." He whispered, making me stop again. "I understand that you were heartbroken. I just wish that you didn't leave and that you came to talk to one of the members about it."

Tears brimmed my eyes. "So it's my fault again? It's my fault that you blamed me for what happened and then decided to break up with me over it? It's my fault that you tore us up, like a picture?"

Genji went silent as I berated him, and by the end of it my tears were glistening against the flickering firelight. I couldn't see any emotion in his eyes as he stared at the fire.

"Why didn't you come to us? Why didn't you go to Zinnia? Why didn't you at least go to Angela?" He asked quietly.

I got up as he spoke, irritated. I paced my side of the campfire as I responded. "I didn't go to you because you broke up with me and caused half of the trauma I'm experiencing! I didn't go to Zinnia because she wouldn't understand! Don't you get it? I didn't go to anyone because I thought I was alone!" When I said 'alone' I spun back around, only to stop to find Genji standing right behind me.

"No, Sage. You're not alone." He murmured.

"Get away from me!" I spat, planting my hands on his chest and pushing him.

I didn't miss the hurt that flashed across his eyes for a split second before determination replaced it.

"It's not like you cared that I was hurting! It's not like you cared that I was heartbroken! It's not like you cared that I was telling the truth and that you were the one that was wrong!" I threw my hands up in the air as I walked away from him, pacing again.

"I know. I'm sor-" He started, moving towards me again but I stepped back.

"Sorry for what? For letting me think that I was all alone? Well, it certainly worked! I've figured out where the hacker is which is far more than the other members can! I'm going to go catch her, alone." I emphasised the word.

"You don't have to do this alone anymore! You have the Overwatch team! You have Zinnia! You have Mercy!  You have m-"

"No. Not you." I cut him off, crossing my arms and staring at the ocean.

"Yes you do! You know that I care because I'm the one who came to get you, I'm the one who brought you food and water, I'm the one who felt the most when I found out you left! You didn't even give us any warning! You just left a note telling us not to follow you!"

Anger boiled in my stomach. "I said goodbye!" I walked up to him, shoving him with every point I made. "I never intended to see you again!"

"But I do." Genji caught my wrists as I went to shove him backwards again. "Sage, I'm sorry." I paused from my struggle to get my hands free as he spoke. "I was wrong. I should have trusted you. I should have been there for you when I saw that you were alone. I should have took care of you when you sneaked out for food, eating only a small portion each time. I should have forced you to go outside once a day, so you wouldn't be pale. I shouldn't have let you dig a six foot hole into the ground where no one can hear you." He choked on his last few words, emotion pouring from his voice.

I finally gave in, relaxing. Tears were silently trickling down my cheeks. Genji loosened his grip on my wrists and lifted my chin with one hand. I didn't protest as he pressed his lips against mine, his other hand holding his mask. Wrinkled and broken butterflies started to flutter once more, creating a whirlwind of colour in my stomach. He pulled away, his hand still on my chin. I swallowed, tears still trickling down my cheek.

well that was a very emotional chapter.

-KittyKatJo2