2: Honest Confessions

Zayn found himself standing at the door of Harry's house the next afternoon with a bag in his hand. He had spent the entire day wondering what to get Harry as an apology gift. And much to his surprise, it proved to be harder than he thought it to be.

Now that he knew Harry was blind, it required a lot more careful thinking. Harry could only smell, taste, touch and hear. So he figured the best way to try to get Harry to forgive him was to appeal to the senses he still had. That's why he ended up buying him candles that smelled like Cherry Blossoms.

The doorbell had long been rung, so he could hear the crack of the intercom. "Mindy?" A voice said.

Zayn frowned. "Um... No? This is Zayn. Your new neighbor who lives next door."

There was a pause. "Oh. What do you want?"

"I brought a gift. And I wanted to say I was sorry about last night."

Another pause. "Well... Okay. Come in."

He heard the door unlock and the door opened. Harry was there with his sunglasses on again. But unlike the black ones he wore last night, these were red.

"These are yours." He held the bag out to Harry. But Harry's back was turned and he was locking the door back.

"What's mine?"

"This." But when he remembered Harry couldn't see him holding the bag out, he smacked his forehead. You idiot! He can't see!

"I brought you a gift. Is there a place I should put it?"

"What is it?"

"Two candles. They're Cherry Blossom scented."

Right away, Harry perked up. "Candles? You got me candles?"

"Yeah. I was trying to be thoughtful and find a good gift. That's all I could come up with. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. You were spot on. I have a special place for candles."

Zayn was surprised. How lucky was he to bring something Harry actually loved? "Really?"

He walked down the hallway slowly and waved Zayn to follow him. So he did. "Oh yes. Mindy always brings me candles. She knows how much I love them."

That was the second time Zayn had heard that name. "Who's Mindy?"

"My friend. She comes by every week to make sure I have everything I need. She takes me shopping if I need it or anywhere else I have to go. You'd love her. She's about your age too."

Zayn hummed. A young girl his age? That sounded interesting enough. And if she was cute, that would be a bonus. "How often does she come by?"

"Once or twice a week. Sometimes three if we're going out together or something."

"Are you two dating?" He asked to be sure.

"No. Never. She'd be a nice girl if I was into them. But then again it wouldn't have mattered. She's dating someone."

Zayn cursed in his head. Well, that was just his luck. And wait... Harry was gay?

"So this is where I keep my candles."

They reached an open door to a spare room at the back of the house and Zayn could see shelves full of candles of different shapes, sizes, fragrances and in many different containers. He couldn't believe it.

"Oh shit. Do you ever burn any or do you just collect them?"

He chuckled. "Of course I burn them. But it takes a long time to burn one candle up. So they sort of just pile up."