9: Friendly Progression

"You know what?"

"What?"

Zayn plopped down on the couch next to Harry with a dithered look on his face. "I did some reading. And by that, I mean I finally read the whole page of colors on the website that we're going over."

"That's good... I guess."

"Yeah. It is good. Because I thought something was left out but it actually wasn't."

Harry tilted his head sideways. "I don't understand."

"Anger is a characteristic of red and I thought it was left out. But it wasn't. It lists it under dark red. And dark red is one of the colors I'm supposed to teach you today."

Harry smiled. "Ah, so it pays to read, doesn't it?"

He huffed. "Yeah, but I feel like a fool though."

"Why?"

"I should have read over the entire thing before today. But then again, I've always had a bad habit of not carefully looking into a situation before I jump into it."

Harry felt for Zayn's shoulder and pat it. "It's okay. Stop beating yourself up about it. All that matters is that you know now and we can move forward."

"I don't want to confuse you though. I want to do it right."

"You haven't confused me and you are doing it right. You're teaching me colors and helping me learn things I never knew before. That's enough for me. Now go on and continue teaching me what you came here to teach me. Dark red means anger and what else?"

He took his hand off of Zayn's shoulder and pressed his elbow into his thigh so he could lean on his hand. Zayn struggled to follow directions.

"Um... Well.... Let's see... Dark red represents anger, vigor, rage, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath. If you were wondering, that would be colors like Velvet, Currant and Licorice."

"Hmm. I can't believe it. Red is such an evil color. I can't understand how people find that a turn on."

"Ironic that you say that because many religions paint the devil and other religious figures similar to the devil as red because of how evil they are. And the way those figures are described in comparison to the attributes of the color red, it suits them well. But aside from that, red is still an amazing color. You know why?"

"Why?"

"For starters, business wise, food companies love to use it to promote their companies because the color red can make people hungry and get them to buy from them."

"Really?"

"Yes. Just by looking at it, it stimulates the brain to signal to us we need food even if we don't. We also tend to associate it with heat. So we think about fire and warmth which means red can manipulate your brain into feeling warm even in the winter. Also, red protects us daily. That's why stop signs are red and why traffic lights are red. Because they give us a warning to danger. We talked about love a great deal last time and that was a good thing too. And also your favorite fruits and vegetables can be red. Like cherries, strawberries, tomatoes, raspberries and red peppers. Watermelon fits in that category too, but sometimes they can be pink on the inside."

Harry rubbed his stomach. "Mmm. Did you come here to make me hungry or teach me colors?"

Zayn laughed. "Teach you, obviously. But as intimidating as red sounds, I don't want you to be wary of it because of a few negative qualities. It's a wonderful color when used in the right way and for the right things. Plus, red roses are something to behold."