13: Complex Feelings

What Zayn expected to be just non-stop blabbering from Harry, turned out to be the opposite. Everything Harry wanted to share had real meaning behind it. Also, the list of things that made him happy wasn't as long as he said it would be either. Apparently that was just a joke. So Zayn knew he was going to have to do better about learning how to distinguish between when Harry was joking and when he was serious.

Of all the things Harry mentioned, Sunflowers really caught Zayn's attention. Why? It was "quite simple", Harry had told him. He liked to pluck the petals and feel the stem between his fingers.

If anybody else had said something like that to him, Zayn likely would have found it weird. He would've wondered why anyone would choose to destroy a flower rather than observe the beauty if it. But knowing that Harry was blind, allowed him to see it from a new perspective. Harry wasn't destroying a flower's beauty. He was just appreciating it in a different way.

For some reason, Zayn wanted to contribute to that. He wanted to go out and buy one or pick one to give to him. But at the present moment, sunflowers weren't blooming yet. Those wouldn't be available until summer and fall. So for the time being, he jotted that down in the little notepad Harry gave him. He couldn't wait to find out what Harry's reaction would be.

"Okay, Zayn. I'm done."

Zayn faced the open front door and was a little apprehensive about the smiling man in front of him. "Why do I feel like you're too happy? Are you up to something?"

"I'm not."

"Uh huh. Then why did I have to come outside while you hid the cigarettes?"

"Because if you didn't, it would have been easier for you to hear what room I went in and you'd just start there. This way, you have no choice but to guess which room you think they're in and where. Which means if you don't find it today, you'll have to go back out there when I get you your cigarettes for the week."

"Harry. For the last time, I'm no cheater."

"Great. So that means it's easier to remain that way as long as there is no opportunity to become one."

Well, that much was true. Zayn couldn't argue his reasoning there. "So..."

"So come on back in and let's try to do this before Mindy gets here. She'll be here soon."

Zayn leisurely walked in past him. "I'm in."

Harry locked the door. "Put your blindfold on."

He pulled it down over his eyes. "Done."

"Now do your thing."

"Do my thing?"

"Yes. Go in search of what you're looking for."

Zayn lifted his blindfold and looked at Harry. "What? I thought you were going to guide me."

"Huh?

"You weren't going to guide me around?"

"That's what you wanted?"

"Not that I wanted it. I just thought you were going to do that since I don't know my way around your house that well. I might run into a wall or knock something over and break it."

Harry was thinking. "So you want me to show you to where you want to go?"

He smiled a victorious smile. "Yes, please."

Harry felt for him and put an arm around his waist as he stood beside him. "Where do you want to start?"

"How about your candle room?"