18: Bye Bye Nicotine

"Hello?" Zayn heard Harry say into the speaker.

"It's Zayn."

"Oh. Okay. Hold on."

After he heard the click of the intercom, the door unlocked and opened.

Zayn walked right in and held his hands out. "I'm done." He said with a smile.

When Harry got a whiff of the smell on Zayn, he went into a fit of coughs. It took a moment to stop and control himself but finally he did. "Wow, did you just finish smoking or something?" He asked as he closed and locked the door.

"I did."

"I can tell. Don't you usually wait until after you leave here to do that stuff?"

"Yeah but that's the thing. I woke up, I went to work with my dad and as I was standing outside during lunch today, I realized that I don't want to do this anymore. I finally understand how it works."

"How what works?"

"This whole smoking routine. This is the first time I have been forced to pick and choose when to smoke because I didn't have a choice. I can see why you did this and I know how it works. Clearly, I'm supposed to get so frustrated with rationing every week that I decide quitting altogether is better. This time I'm quitting for good and I just smoked my last cigarette."

Harry folded his arms as he listened. "You do know it's not as easy as saying it, don't you? Well, I know you know because you tried once before. But now you're sure you want to quit. So what's your reason this time? What's your motivation not to give up?"

"You."

"Me? Why me?"

"For starters, because you cough like a maniac whenever you come near the smell of smoke." He chuckled out. "And also, if we're taking our time and progressing to something more, then what kind of... partner would I be to you if I kept smoking around you even when I know it bothers you?"

Harry just tilted his head and thought about it. "Okay. I see your point."

"Good. Plus I'm just ready to get it over with for myself as well. I know about the withdrawal symptoms because I had them the first time I tried to quit. But the difference is I think I'm more mentally ready this time. I'm going to do it for real. That's what I wrote down, isn't it? That I will stop smoking."

"It is."

"Right. So then why wait?"

"I don't know."

"Exactly. Me either." He leaned forward and he encased Harry in the tightest hug he could give him without hurting him. "I know when I'm all done that it will be worth it. But it wouldn't even have been a thing I ever truly wanted if it wasn't for you. So thank you."

Harry settled into his touch. "You're welcome."

"Hello, Zayn."

Zayn hurried up and let go of him to put his hands behind his back. "Mindy? What– What are you doing here? I mean. Not what are you doing here. You're here to see Harry, obviously. I just didn't see your car outside."

She chuckled. "Yeah, Liam took it and went to buy a watermelon. They're finally back in stores now."

"Oh. Then I'm just going to go home."

Just as he reached for the doorknob, Mindy stopped him. "Wait. You like watermelon, right?" She asked.

"Um sure."

"Then stay and have some with us. We don't mind. Plus we can all get to know you more. Liam hasn't really had the chance to talk with you like we have."