Chapter Four: Lost

William sat in the mortuary, the death of the blonde girl Morgan had taken a toll on him. Candace who would lurk on the back of his mind, now stood out in his attention.

The day he had met her was so regular then, but so extraordinary now. He had been running an errand for his father in the marketplace place, when he had heard the sweetest chuckle. He had turned around only to be pulled into an alley by gentle but strong hands. He was astounded to see a beautiful lady of not more than seventeen years covered in the apparels of latest fashion, she was grinning from ear to ear.

The lady held him close in a way, not distant than how a person would hold her amour. He blushed at the proximity; he was quite inexperienced when it came to young maidens. But clearly this woman was quite experienced even if she didn’t look like a light skirt and that was the moment when he fell in love with her blonde hair, her moss green eyes and her slender frame. He wanted to be her knight in shining armor. 

That is the day, their romance started, a veiled romance, a scandalous romance. He, William Halder was a mere peasant, the young eligible bachelorette Candace Rosemary was a rich heiress and the princess and the pauper couldn’t be together.

His mundane days were soon filled with the enthusiasm of youth. Candace was a jovial lass with the ability to bring a smile on his face at the direst of times. But he always felt as if she was hiding some ache beneath her humor, she never talked about her family or her past, always avoiding the topic. Sometimes she would distract him with her unexpected kisses and they were distracting.

And then when after a short time of a year that went like the breeze as happy times always go, he asked her to marry him. He remembered that moment, her face had paled and for one instant he had heard his heart break and then she had given him a full blown smile and made his heart beat even faster with the words, “I’d love to.”

Then the next day she told him the truth about her folks, which she didn’t remember because her family died in 1857. He had never been more shocked in his life and then she had told him with tears in her eyes that she was a monster, a vampire. But she didn’t know that he could never see her to be less than an angel, so he had proceeded to tell her so and then she had flung herself into his arms.

They had eloped to a different city, where they had had a enormous nice church wedding, and then just after their blissful honeymoon, she had changed him to a vampire, he remembered how wonderful her tears had flowed when he had asked her to kill him after infusing him with her sweet blood, he had controlled his tears for the sake of manliness and also the fact that it would burn her membrane.

He had loved her, loved her so damn much and it had hurt, hurt quite a lot when she had disappeared twenty years after their marriage.

Will stood up from the chair, pushing Candace to the back of his mind, his only distraction being the mystery of Morgan’s murderer. He was going to forage the city for vampires.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Candace remembered, she remembered her whole freaking life anecdote and she was going to kill him. He had played with her while she had loved him, loved him so damn much. She had eloped with him and he had breached her trust. She had never loved anyone that much except her long-dead father and now that she remembered, she was going to kill him. But first she needed to know where he was now, if he was alive, but then again bastards like him didn’t die easily.

His face was now imprinted in her mind, mocking her. It didn’t take much time to find him, if she had become anything in the last hundred years it was influential. Her contacts managed to get her the information to her within days and she was off to Gravemont to get her revenge.

A girl was walking alone on the footpath; the night sky was filled with silence, except her footsteps that quite irritated Candace as all of pesky human habits did. She had to attract at the attention of a vampire, what was better than threatening him with the possibility of a vampire massacring in his region.

Candace assailed the girl, making sure to give marks that would scream vampire attack. She managed to satisfy her bloodlust for weeks through her. By the time she finished with the girl, she lay on the footpath pale and her body was leaking blood, the gravel turning red underneath her.

She was going to kill him, but she was going to need help, she wasn’t going to be fooled yet again. One time was enough for her vampire existence.