Frozen - KSimon

JJ tries to comfort his best friend Simon, who is going through a rather rough time, but he has some problems dealing with the issue himself. (Note: KSimon will only have a platonic relationship in this oneshot, nothing more.)

Word Count: 1666

"Simon?" I called as I walked into the cramped flat we shared.

Dead silence greeted me. No response. As usual.

I sighed and unzipped my heavy winter coat, hanging it up carefully on one of the wooden hooks at the front door. It was January now and London was still freezing cold, which didn't help my mood. The flat wasn't great either. Even with the two of us in a smaller space, it always felt empty now, like it was missing something.

I made my way to our kitchen and picked up two mugs, one for Simon and one for me. I opened the refrigerator and shivered as the cold air reached my face. I took the carton of milk out and poured exactly two cups into a glass measuring cup. I placed the glass container in the microwave and set the timer for 1 and a half minutes. Perfect, I thought to myself, we'll have hot chocolate to drink in a bit.

The wooden floors creaked a little as I walked to Simon's room. I found myself in front of his closed door and lifted my hand to knock when I was slightly surprised by a small noise.

A sniffle, to be exact.

I put my hand down and decided not to disturb him. Instead, I reached that same hand down to the doorknob, turning it slowly to avoid making as little sounds as possible.

The door opened almost noiselessly. I peeked into the room and found Simon lying on the bed, curled up into a ball. A handful of tissues were strewn around and I could see two tissue boxes near him.

He wasn't asleep though, as he usually would've been after what I assumed was a crying episode. Instead, Simon was staring intently at something on his harshly lit phone screen.

I stared at him the same way for a little while, taking in the sadness and pain which surrounded him, until I realized what I was doing and gently closed the door again. I sighed softly as the sight of him faded. I miss my best friend.

As I reached the kitchen again, the microwave let out a 'Ding!' noise to notify me that it was ready. I took the cup out and poured half of the milk in each of the two mugs I had set out minutes before. The instant hot chocolate packets I found in the cupboard, and I used a spoon to stir the two warm drinks. I thought for a moment before taking the whipped cream out of the fridge and swirling some on top of the hot chocolates. The last touch was some mini marshmallows, which I gingerly added to the top of the whipped cream.

There. Beautiful.

I picked up a mug and carried it to Simon's door. This time I knocked.

"Simon?" I called, after there was no reply to my knock.

"JJ?" Hearing Simon uncertainly croak out his words was enough to make my heart twist. He didn't deserve the pain. Not after all that he had done...

"Can I come in, man? I've got something for you." I smiled as I imagined his reaction. 'You actually made something for me?' he'd sarcastically retort, as well as place a hand on his heart for dramatic effect.

"Uh, yeah. Sure, gimme a sec." I heard Simon get up from his bed and walk away. There was a sound of water running, and then the footsteps came back. It was fairly silent for a little while after that as footsteps were occasionally heard, and then the door opened.

"Hey." I studied my friend's face. Simon's light blue eyes looked darker. He had painfully obvious bags under his eyes, and his hair was tangled and oily, making it clear he hadn't showered in a little while. Simon Minter looked like shit when he was tired.