Chapter 20

2 Months Later...

Kaycee had almost fully recovered. The only thing that was causing a bit of trouble was her leg. Alan had taken her to the doctors multiple times per week because of the pain. Alan had brought Kaycee to a doctor who met all the requirements of an imbecile. He had fumbled with the IV and the needle when taking blood and had given Kaycee the wrong antibiotics which caused her nervous system to go into overdrive. Finally Kaycee begged Alan to take her back to the E.R.

"Darling, are you comfortable?" Alan had been through the ringer these past few weeks and Kaycee was more than grateful. She tried to hide her wincing as she nodded but of course Alan noticed. He pulled chair over to the bed the nurses had settled her into and he held her hand tightly. She could see his eyes veined exhaustion and he looked so sad. Kaycee gently caressed his face and leaned forward and kissed him.

"I love you." Alan flashed her a small smile.

"And I love you." Kaycee smiled at him and he couldn't help but feel a little better. After a little while, the doctor finally came in.

"Hi, sorry for the wait. How are we today?" The doctor made eye contact with Kaycee and noted the amount of pain her face showed. "Let's take a look at that leg shall we?" Kaycee nodded as she motioned for Alan to hold her hand, which he did immediately. The doctor lifted the small blanket covering Kaycee's body and her face immediately wore a look of concern. "How long has your leg been in pain?"

"Almost a month. Maybe a little longer? Why?" The doctor blinked hard then flashed a very toothy grin.

"Let me go get your head surgeon." Kaycee sighed heavily and let her head fall back into the pillow. Alan sat down and huffed, knowing whatever was about to happen, would be a very gruesome and unforgiving process. The doctor came back with the familiar face of Dr. Jackson. She smiled and gave Kaycee's hand a reassuring squeeze.

"We have you, okay? You'll be alright." She smiled at Kaycee then proceeded to lift the blanket. Her face also turned from a smile to a furrowed brow. "Take her upstairs to get an X-Ray and a Cat Scan, now." The doctor nodded and took Kaycee. Dr. Jackson looked at Alan, who looked as if he was going to punch the wall next to him.

"Doctor, what's going on?" She sighed before answering the distressed man.

"Her leg looks extremely infected. I'm hoping the scans come out clean because if not, we'll need to do an exploratory surgery on her leg to see how bad it is. And if it's bad..." She took a deep breath and looked at Alan. "We may need to amputate." Alan sat down, clutching the arm of the chair.

"Amputate?" Dr. Jackson nodded.

"I'll be back when the scans come through. Keep the faith, Alan. She'll be okay." Alan stared off blankly into the distance and Dr. Jackson quietly left.

Amputate? God... Would Kaycee be able to handle it? Oh god...my poor girl...

Hours had passed before Kaycee returned. She noticed Alan's mood and began questioning him.

"What is it? Talk to me." Alan sighed and sat next to her again, holding her hand.

"I think the doctor should tell you." Kaycee nodded, successfully managing to hide her immediate panic. Within minutes the doctor had arrived. She pulled a second chair next to Kaycee and sighed.

"Your scans..." She looked at Alan. "They're not good." Kaycee nodded slowly.

"What does that mean?" She squeezed Alan's hand tighter.

"Well, it means I am going to take you in for surgery to see how extensive the damage is." Kaycee nodded. "However, if the damage is too much." Kaycee's eyes began to tear up but she blinked hard to push them back. "We will have to amputate." Kaycee let out a small whimper and lowered her head, which Alan slowly pulled into his chest. "I'll leave you two alone for a bit before we take her up." Alan nodded. Kaycee was sobbing against his chest.

"Alan, you have to make them save it." He sighed. "Please?" Alan shushed her and kissed her head.

"I can't control what they do, love." She whimpered again, tears streaming heavily down her cheeks. "Look at me." He pulled her gaze to his. "I will love you no matter what happens. You are mine forever, whether you have one leg, or four." Kaycee gave a light giggle and chewed her lip. "We're in this together, okay?" Kaycee sighed and nodded. Alan pulled her into his embrace and kissed the top of her head. The doctor came in a few minute later and Alan was forced to sit in the waiting room until Dr. Jackson came to get him.