The First Morning

Chrom

"CHROOOOOOOM!!!!!!" I heard the screeching voice of my sister. "WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!!!!" She pounded on my door.

I let out a groan and buried my head in my pillow. "Lissa, go away!" I looked at the digital clock on my nightstand. The bright red lights read 6:08 AM. "Liss! It's six in the morning! Go back to sleep!"

"Chrom! It's the first day of school!"

That woke me up. I shot up and hit my head on the ceiling, silently cursing to myself. "Oww! I both love and hate having a loft sometimes..." I rubbed my throbbing head and yawned. "Be down in a sec, Liss!" I jumped off my bed and winced in pain as I hit the floor. Never do that when you're barely awake...

"Mom doesn't want you jumping off your loft!" Lissa said from outside.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

...

I ran a hand through my hair and looked into the mirror. Well, I don't look too bad. I straightened my periwinkle blazer and adjusted the golden pin of the schools Brand. I believe Dad called it "The Exalted Brand." I honestly don't even know what it's called that. I frowned as I took one last look in the mirror, fiddling with the buttons. Should my blazer be buttoned or unbuttoned? Uniform rules are super lax, but I don't know what to do! Is wearing jeans instead of dress pants a good idea? Should I be formal for the first day? Will wearing this in a different style make people judge my character! I don't want that! Gah! Why does my Dad have to be the principal?! I mean, sure, Mom is the principal at the middle school, but this is high school! It's different! Ahhh...what do I do?!

"Chrom! Get down here! Breakfast is almost ready!" Lissa called from downstairs.

I gulped. "B-be right there!" I mustered up my courage and exited my room. I entered the kitchen and saw my family doing their normal morning routines. Mom was at the stove preparing breakfast, Lissa was sitting at the table with her phone, giggling, and Dad sat across from her and read the newspaper while drinking his coffee.

"Goodmorning, sweetie!" Mom greeted me in her usual cheery tone, smiling at me. "You ready for school?"

I bit my lip and forced a smile. "Y-yeah! Sure am!" Not...

"Glad to hear it! Would you like one piece of toast or two?" she asked.

I sat down next to Lissa. "Um, one, thanks," I replied.

Lissa looked up from her phone and smirked at me. "Took you long enough! What were you doing up there?" She punched my shoulder.

I brushed her off and glared. "Getting ready! Jeez! How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?" She can't even complain! She takes forever getting ready!

"Oh, I've been up since 4 this morning."

Dad choked on his coffee. "What?! You shouldn't be up at that hour, young lady!" He frowned.

Lissa rolled her eyes. "It's fiiiine. I woke up too early and was too excited so I couldn't sleep! Oh, and I promised Elise that I'd help her pick an outfit at 5:30, so I had that going on."

Dad and I shared a look. "Who's Elise?" I asked.

Lissa gave a look as if I just asked her the stupidest question in the world. "She's my friend! She goes to Nohr Acadamy Middle School, not Ylisse," she said.

Dad sighed and rubbed his temple. "Alright, I think I'm going to have to take your phone away before bed, Lissa. I don't want you getting distracted and losing sleep."

Lissa's jaw dropped. "What?! But that's not fair!" she pouted.

"Whatever..." Dad looked back to me and his lips curved up into a grin. "Heh... I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing my son all dressed up to go to high school... It's a nice sight, though."

I smiled and looked down. "T-thanks, Dad..." I murmured. "I-I'm a bit nervous if I'm being totally honest..."

"There's no need to be. You're going to do great!" he reassured me.

"Exactly, high school will be a breeze for you," Mom said, setting some plates full of food down on the table. "You have nothing to worry about, Chrom."

I let out a breath. I guess they're right... I should just take everything as it goes...

"I know middle school will be a piece of cake for me!" Lissa bragged. "I'm totally ready!"

We laughed and began to eat breakfast.

...

As I was helping Mom wash the dishes, I heard a notification go off on the computer in the living room. "Hey, that must be Emm!" I exclaimed, dropping the plate I was washing and running to the computer, Lissa soon followed.

Lissa and I sat down and accepted the call. Emm's face appeared on the screen and she waved to us."Hey, guys! How are you doing?" she asked.

"Good!" Lissa exclaimed, pushing me out of the way. "We're just about to go to school! Can you believe it?!"

Emm laughed. "Haha! Not really! My siblings are all grown up!" She wiped away a tear. "I hope you guys have a good day at school!"

I pushed Lissa back so I can see Emm. "Thanks, Emm!" I smiled. "How's college treating you?"

"Good! It's been really fun so far!"

"You say that now! Just wait until midterms! That'll be fun!" Mom yelled from the kitchen.

Emm rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Mom!" Lissa and I laughed. 

"We're glad you're having fun, Emm!" Lissa giggled.

"Thanks, guys." She smiled. "I have to get ready for class, I'll call you guys the moment you get home."

"Ok, Emm!" Lissa and I said in unison.

"Bye!!!" She waved goodbye and ended the call.

"It was nice to see Emm before we left," Lissa said, turning to me. "Hard to believe she's moved out and in college."

I nodded. "Yeah... I miss seeing her in person..."

"You'll get to see her during the holidays, kiddos," Mom said. She threw Lissa and me our backpacks. "Now, let's get you two to school!"

"Yay!!! Let's go!!!!" Lissa cheered, running to the garage.

I slung my backpack over my shoulders and let out a sigh. "Alright...let's go..."

Mom kissed me on the head. "You're going to do just fine, Chrom. I promise." She smiled. "You have nothing to worry about."

I looked down and tried to crack a small smile. "Y-yeah...ok..." I really hope that all of this goes well...

...

"I'll see you later, Chrom!" Lissa yelled as she began to run towards the middle school, which was right next to the high school.

"Have fun, Liss!" I called back at her. I gulped and took in the large building. I've been to it many times, but it feels like a new place now that I actually go to school here...

I took a breath. "Alright, Chrom. You can do this. You have nothing to be afraid of! This...this year will be a breeze! I can do this! I can!"

And with that, I took the first step into my high school career.

______________

Hello! Thank you so much for checking out High School Years! It really means a lot to me! I'm so excited to start this new series and share my stories with you! That being said, I'm going to try my best to update this as much as I can. School has been keeping me really busy, and marching band doesn't really help with that, either. I promise that I will make a schedule that will work with mine and everything will be good. Thank you so much for reading, and look forward to reading more.

Currently listening to: Lost Girls: Lindsey Sterling