The Love of Siblings

Chrom

"So, how's high school been?"

"Good! Great! I think?"

"Haha! I get it!" Emm laughed.

Since Emm's going to an out of state University, we hardly get to see her. The last time I saw her in person was over Christmas break. So, the only times I see her are via Skype and other video calling stuff.

"How's university been?" I asked.

Emm sighed and sat back in her chair. "Busy, stressful, tiring. The usual," she replied. "How has everyone else been?"

"Good. Mom and Dad are still their normal selves, and Lissa has grown even more out of control."

"What do you mean?"

I ran a hand through my hair. "You know all those beauty gurus and vloggers that exist? Well, she's trying to be just like them," I groaned. "For example: she takes a minimum of 30 minutes in the bathroom every morning doing makeup alone! Second: she's on some stupid diet, like, every single week! And lastly: she follows EVERY new trend there is! I can hardly keep up with her anymore!"

Emm cringed. "Sounds rough. Well, at least she's happy." She smiled. "So, how are you? Anything interesting happen at school?"

I let out a breath. "Not really. Just exams and stuff," I said. "Hey, Emm, you took Psychology, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Well, I'm taking it this semester because I had an open class block, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it." I sighed. "My friend suggested it to me and it sounded really interesting, but I don't think I'll be any good at it."

Emm didn't say anything for a few seconds. "Well, sometimes you just have to take things as they go. Every class you take - even if you hate it - you always learn something from it. And if you're no good at this class, then at least you could have taken something out of it! Whether it be about the material, the people, or even just your feelings about the class! Every single challenge you face in life makes you a stronger person, I promise."

I nodded and closed my eyes. "You always know what to say, Emm." I smiled. "Thank you."

"No problem, Little Brother." Just then, voices and crashing could be heard on Emm's side of the screen. "Er, it looks like I have to go. Phila and our roommates probably tried cooking again. I'll talk to you later!"

"Bye!" I closed my computer and sighed. "I really hope she's right..." As I went to leave my room, I could hear sniffling coming from Lissa's.

I softly knocked on her door. "Liss? You ok? Can I come in?"

"Go away!"

"I'm coming in."

I opened the door, and there she was: curled up on the floor with a bunch of pillows and blankets, tissues littering the carpet. "Lissa, what's wrong?" I ran over to her.

She wiped her eyes and sat up. "N-nothing! I was just watching sad puppy videos!"

I wasn't convinced. "I can tell when something is wrong, Lissa." I frowned. "Tell me what's wrong."

Lissa covered her eyes and proceed to bawl. "I hate me! I hate this Lissa!" she cried.

I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. "What do you mean by that?"

"I hate having to be perfect! As the daughter of the principal's of both the middle and high school, I apparently have to be the most flawless person to exist!" She sniffled. "I have to be trendy, cute, funny, relatable, and friendly to everyone! I have to be someone I'm not or else everyone will hate me! I can't stand makeup, I despise all of these stupid diets, and I hate having to follow every stupid trend there is! I can't take it!"

She clung tightly to me and cried. All I could do was hold her and hope to calm her down.

Finally, I said something. "You don't have to pretend to be someone you're not, Liss," I sighed. "If you were the real you, I'm sure people would love you! How could people not? You're kind, loving, energetic, and so much more! You can't be perfect for the sake of other people. And there's no such thing as perfect! However, you're absolutely perfect the way you are."

Lissa looked up at me. "You really think so?"

"Yes! I really do!" I laughed. "Trust me. And hey, if people don't like you for who you truly are, then they aren't worth your time."

Lissa looked like she was lost in thought. Then, she smiled and nodded. "You're right. I need to do what makes me happy." She hugged me. "Thank you, Chrom."

I ruffled her blonde hair. "Of course, weirdo! I want my little sister back the way she was!"

"AHH! STOP IT!!! I'M NOT A LITTLE KID!!!" She squealed. I laughed and continued with it anyway.

She never showed any signs of hating her life style... She seemed so happy with it! Well, hopefully she takes my advice to heart.

*****
Poor Lissa. A few things! First: hope you enjoyed the DDLC music. It's a very mentally scaring game and I'm trash XD. Second, thank you so so so so much for 1K reads! It really means a lot to me! And third: if you haven't already, go and check out my writing challenge! The details are located in My Random Thoughts and a post on my page. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!