Cat and Mouse

Anna

"You were uncharacteristically quiet in Psych today," Chrom said.

I shrugged. "Well, I didn't really feel like talking. Is that a crime?"

"No, but..." He gulped nervously. "Well, you usually have plenty of things to talk about. Examples to give. We talked about anxiety."

My throat felt like it has been stabbed by a hot knife. "I don't really like talking about my anxiety to strangers Chrom." We also talked about...other things...

He clutched my books to his chest and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm here for you. I'm always here for you."

I scrunched up and averted his gaze. "Th-thank you...but I promise I'm fine." We finally arrived at my house. "Well, we're here." I took my books from him. "Thanks for walking me back."

"It's no problem," Chrom flashed me a smile. "I'll see you tomorrow-"

I quickly set my books down and threw my arms around him, not saying anything. He didn't say anything as well, holding me tight.

After a few minutes of silence, warm tears began to well up in my eyes. "Shh...shh... It's ok. I'm right here..." He rubbed my back soothingly.

"I don't know what I would do without my life..." I swallowed a lump in my throat. "I don't know if I would even still be here..."

"Hey, hey. Stop that." He pulled away and wiped away my tears. "Don't say things like that. You have a full life ahead of you. Never give it up for anything."

I smiled. "You have given me the hope I need in this world," I muttered. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Good." He hugged me once more. "You're my best friend. You know that, right?"

I laughed and pushed him away. "Yes! You've made it clear! Mulitple times!"

"Well, it's true. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yup! See you tomorrow!"

...

Honestly, what did I do to deserve him?

I buried my face into my pillow. After years and years of anxiety and hardship, the gods finally decided to bless me with this light.

I smiled softly into the pillow. I've never had a friend like him before. Never had someone who cared so much about me. He has saved me from Naga knows what my mental state would be.

I thank all of my lucky stars.

...

"Hello, Ice Queen."

I sighed as I washed my hands. "Katie." I gave her a curt nod.

"I've been meaning to talk to you," she purred, not showing and sign of annoyance or fear.

I glanced around. "The girl's bathroom is an odd place for a talk."

She eyes bore into mine. "It's the only place where we could talk. Alone." Her smile was as shy as a cat's. "It's about Chrom."

My heart gave a slight lurch. "Look, Katie, leave him out of this. Leave him out of all of this. He doesn't deserve-"

"Save it," she snapped. "We're meant to be together. I know it. Everyone else knows it. He and I have grown close enough that it's a surprise that we're not dating. The only thing that's getting in the way is you."

I glared. "I'm not trying to get in the way of anyone! He's my best friend and I want what's best for him!" I sucked in some air and held my ground. "And I know it's not you. I know you're a manipulative, lying snake. You think I don't know who spread those rumors that you two were dating?"

Katie did not falter. "Say what you will, even it they're true, but I have more tricks up my sleeve than you think." Her smile grew into a more wicked one. "I always get what I want. And I don't give a damn as to what I have to do to get it."

I fought back my bubbling fear. "...What do you mean?"

"I have this whole school wrapped around my finger, Anna," she said, her voice keeping that poisonous innocence. "It would be a shame if word got out that Chrom's father is the only reason he got into things. Student Leadership...Drumline. You name it."

"...You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, I would." Her words cut me deeper than a knife.

I tried to regain control. "B-but those accusations are false and you know it!"

"Oh, I know." She eyed her nails. "Believe me when I say I agree with you that he worked his hardest to get where he is. I've never met a more diligent worker than him. But people still have their suspicions.

"I have ways to spread the word. To make people look down on him because his father can flaunt his power to get his son anywhere."

I wanted to collapse.

"He would be ridiculed and bullied the rest of his high school career. No one would ever trust him. You don't want that, do you?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat, nodding.

That wicked cat-smile returned. "I knew you would see it that way."

"What do you want me to do?!" I choked. No no no no no. I can't let him go through what I did! I can't!

"Sever your ties with him. Make him believe you hate him. You never want anything to do with him. Go back to being the Ice Queen."

...No...no, gods, please...no...

But what choice do I have?!? I either be selfish and continue our friendship, but he will be bullied relentlessly and all of his hopes will be ruined; or I remove him from my life but he keeps his happy future...

"You have till the end of the week to decide," she clicked her tongue, walking towards the exit. "I know you'll make the right decision."

I was glad we were in a bathroom because the second she left, I sprinted to the toilet and vommited.

My breathing was heavy and my throat burned; hot tears filled my eyes.

Oh gods oh gods oh gods...what do I do... This can't be happening! This is not happening!

The only light in my life will be taken away...

Oh, gods...

*****

Welp. We're in for a ride. A very angsty one. Real talk. The next few chapters are going to have some pretty heavy stuff. I promise that it won't be too extreme, I'm not exactly comfortable writing some of the really heavy things I have in mind. Remember, always find your light. Everything is going to be ok. The weight of the world may be on your shoulders, but use that weight to become stronger. I know you can do it. I love all of you and your support has really helped me through some tough times. Your comments make me smile and I know I can get through the day knowing I have so much support. Also a super random break but I just want to point out that this was written completely on my phone because the power went out and I couldn't use my laptop. XD Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Not currently listening to anything cuz the power is out and I don't want to drain my battery listening to music. I'm trying my darndest.