20 Questions

Chrom

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah... I am now..."

"If you say so." I smiled at Anna as we stepped outside.

Anna took a deep breath, her exhale came out as fog. "Thanks... I needed some fresh air," she said, wrapping her arms around herself. She jumped slightly when a snowflake landed on her nose.

I silently chuckled and removed my jacket. "Here," I draped it over her shoulders, "you'll be warmer in this."

She blushed and hesitantly wrapped it closer around her. "Th-thanks..."

We were silent for a few moments. "So, what do you want to do now?" I asked. "Do you want to go back in?"

Anna shook her head. "Honestly, I just want to go home..." she sighed.

"Do you need a ride?"

"No, I don't live that far. I can walk," she replied. She began to fidget with her hands. "Um... Thank you. For everything. I am so sorry for the way I treated you these past few months... It was wrong of me to do so."

I smiled. "You don't have to apologize, Anna. It's totally alright." I pulled her close and hugged her. "Everything will be alright, I promise. You're never going to be bullied again. Not on my watch."

Anna laughed and rested her forehead against my chest. "I wish I had someone like you at my old school..."

"Well, I'm here now." I stepped back and gently held onto her wrists. "Do you want me to walk with you?"

"Don't you have to help with the dance?"

I rolled my eyes. "It'll be fine." I dismissed her with the wave of my hand. "I'll just text Frederick and tell him that I'm helping a student."

Anna sighed and smiled at me. "If you say so..." She began to walk. "I would really appreciate that, thank you."

We walked in silence for a few minutes.

Then, Anna cleared her throat. "So...you and Katie... What's going on there?" she asked.

"Ugh, nothing!" I groaned. "She's not my girlfriend, just so you know. And after tonight, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at her the same way."

Anna gave me a saddened look. "I'm so sorry if I caused a rift between you two. I really am."

I shook my head. "Please, don't worry about it. I'm going to have a talk with her later about her attitude. Don't worry about it, you've done nothing wrong."

"Alright, then..."

More silence.

I cleared my throat. "So...why don't you tell me about yourself? I want to get to know you more." I smiled.

Anna looked up at me. "Well, what do you want to know?"

"I dunno. General stuff?"

Anna laughed. "Very specific." Her laughs were music to my ears. "Fine. Why don't we do a 20 questions sort of thing? I want to get to know you, too."

I nodded. "That sounds like a good idea. I'll go first." What do I want to know about her? "Um, what's your favorite color?"

"I see you're getting into the really deep questions, Chrom."

"Shut up!"

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. Blue," she answered.

I smirked. "Then it seems like we're going to become really good friends." I gestured to my hair.

She playfully frowned. "Now it's time for you to shut up." She jabbed my side. "What's your favorite class?"

"Foods." I winked. "What's your favorite animal?"

"Wolves. Do you have any siblings?"

"Yes, two sisters: one older and one younger. I'm stuck being the middle child. Why do you tie your blazer around your waist all the time?"

"Because I want to look edgy. What's your least favorite food?"

"Tofu. My sister wants to be a health-food guru and it's making me die on the inside."

This went on for a while.

Finally, we were down to the last question. Ok...I have to choose my question carefully... But what do I ask? I want her to open up to me but I don't want to force her to say anything she doesn't want to say! Gods...what do I do. Eventually, I managed to ask the final question.

"Are you ok?"

Anna looked at me, confused. "Yes, I'm fine... Why?"

My heart was beating so fast and I didn't know why. "Anna, you can tell me what's on your mind," I said. "I want you to trust me. I want you to be able to open up to me." WHAT AM I DOING?!?! WHY DID I JUST SAY THAT?!?!?!

Anna looked at the ground, tears beginning to form in her eyes. "Honestly...I don't know..." she muttered. "Everythings makes me feel so anxious and nervous... I don't know what to do..."

...Oh, gods. Did I do a good thing or a bad thing? I shook my head and wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close and embracing her. "Shhhh...everything will be alright, I promise."

"I'm scared..."

"I know." I pulled away from her and placed my hands on her shoulders. "But you're strong, I know you are. You can get through this. And I will be here to help you along the way."

She smiled at me. "Thank you so much. I don't think I could ever say that enough. Thank you."

"It's the least I can do, really." We continued to walk for a few more minutes, creating pleasant small talk and getting to know each other even more.

Despite her hating me for most of the time we've known each other, I feel more comfortable around her than I feel with any of my friends.

Then, Anna stopped and turned to me. "This is my stop. Thanks for walking me home." She removed my jacket and handed it to me. "And thanks for letting me borrow this."

I smiled as I took it back. "It's no problem, Anna," I said. "So... I'll see you on Monday?"

"Yeah! I'll see you then!" She waved at me as she headed into her house.

I sighed and began to walk back towards the school, taking my phone out of my pocket. "I guess it's time for me to head home as well..." I looked back at Anna's house. "Everything will get better. I promise. I won't let anything happen to you. Never again."

_________

Get ready for these nerds to become best friends. I'm still waiting for snow. HURRY UP! DO I NEED TO GRT MARRIAGE COUNSELING FOR PERSEPHONE AND HADES?!?! Thank you so much reading and look forward to reading more!