Chapter 1 : A Dull Color

A/N : Heya Guys And Girls and that Colorful Rainbow In-between! I hope you all enjoy this new story! It tells a small story in between when Seasons 3 and 4 and before Ruby awakens from her unconscious state. Let me know how you feel about this in the comments!

------

Tai Yang Xiao Long had always cared about his daughters deeply. There was that one momentary lapse he had when his wife, Summer Rose. had died but that was a long time ago. Normally, ever since his daughters had been sent off to Beacon, he'd absolutely loved it when they returned home for a weekend. This time, however, he wished that Yang had never come home.

Tai sat outside his large cabin-like house, on a stump of a tree he had previously cut down. A very worried look was spread throughout his features as he glanced at a small log in his hands, hoping to take his mind off of things. His daughters, Yang Xiao Long and Ruby Rose, had both returned home just last week, However, contrast to their previous visits, this one was different. Beacon, and Vale as a whole, had fallen to the Grimm. From reports by Qrow, Cinder and her faction had made their move and Ozpin had been unable to deduct her plan. Not only that, but Yang had lost her arm in an attempt to save Blake Belladonna, the cat-like Faunus she was very close to. The experience was traumatic for her as now she refused to do anything. Most days, Yang would stay in her room. her back propped up against her bed and her lilac eyes staring out the window at the sun or horizon line.

All of her fighting spirit, all of her eccentric attitude she'd received from Tai was gone. No matter how hard Tai tried to break her shell she'd cast on herself, nothing seemed to work. Her bright eyes had dulled, even her hair was beginning to look as if it's brilliant yellow was fading.

Tai suddenly got up from the stump and threw the log to his side. He walked back into his house, twisting the golden door knob and opening the door. To his surprise, Yang was sitting on the couch watching television.

"Hey." He said casually as he closed the door behind him.

"Hey." Yang replied in a bored tone. Ever since she returned home, she'd spoken to everyone with a placid tone.

"It's nice to see you out of your room." Tai said as he sat down next to her on the green couch.

"I'm only out here because I had a nightmare, Dad." Yang replied in an almost angry tone.

'Hey, at least she's starting to show emotion again.'

"Want to talk about it?" Tai asked.

Yang shook her head in response, with no verbal reply. Tai could tell that even the slightest remembrance of the nightmare frightened her dearly. Tai clapped his knees before sighing and standing up from where he was.

"Would you like some porridge? I am starving." Tai said before walking to the kitchen.

"Sure Dad. Thanks." Yang replied.

"Oh, and I forgot to mention. Raiden is on his way here. He should be here within an hour." Tai said as he begun cooking porridge.

---

Some time later, Tai stood in his room, alone. He'd locked the door so that Yang wouldn't be able to see who he was contacting. He sat down at his previous wife's mirror, Raven's mirror. With him, he held their wedding ring that he had taken off shortly after they had went their separate ways. Instantly, the mirror in front of him warped itself and gave off a red glow. Inside of the mirror's reflection sat Raven Branwen, his previous wife and Yang's mother.

"What is it this time, Tai? I thought I told you to only contact me when it's an emergency." Raven scowled.

"It is an emergency. Your daughter, the girl I had to raise all on my own, has been traumatized. She lost her arm in a fight protecting her friend and now that friend is missing. Everything's fallen to shit and you still haven't even come to visit her. Listen, Raven. If there was anything I'd want you too listen to, anything I'd have to say that I need you to listen to, it's right now. You need to see her. Talk to her. I have tried to pull her out of this but I can't do it. Not alone."

Tai said as seriously as he possibly could. Raven's eyes widened at this. Tai never lost his cool, ever.

"I'll stop by next week." Raven replied calmly.

"Tomorrow. Oum, why did I think you'd actually come here soon and be a good mother? Raven, how loud do I have to say it. Your daughter is hurting and yet you still don't come to see her. If you're not here by tomorrow, don't come at all. It's obvious your daughter's well-being isn't as important to you as your own." Tai said as he stood from the chair and left the room. As soon as he had left his chair, the red mirror returned to normal.

---

Raven sighed to herself as Tai ended their communication pathway. It was part of her semblance, opening portals and such. She had told Tai to leave their ring on the mirror table whenever he needed to contact her and that she would open a portal to her but she never expected him to react like that. She'd heard about what happened to her daughter, but she hadn't put much thought into it. she figured that someone as strong-willed as Yang would shrug off the wound.

"Oum, why did I think you'd actually come here soon and be a good mother?" Tai's voice echoed throughout her mind. Although Tai, as gentle as he was, never meant for the words to sting, they did exactly that. Granted, she had never been a good mother. She'd left Tai as soon as her clan was about to implode, choosing her clans people who had ousted her instead of the person who had accepted her, flaws and all. The clan would have failed without her leadership. The clan will fail without her leadership.

"You keep telling that to yourself Raven. Just don't miss her next birthday." Tai had said to her some years ago. Why were his words affecting her so much? And why now? Sure, she'd saved Yang's life once because of the fact that she'd gotten lucky and peeped at her daughter. But that was no consolation for abandoning Yang and Tai as she did.

"Darius." Raven called out. Darius Branwen, a tall and broad-shouldered dark-skinned man, came to the mouth of her tent.

"Yes, milady?"

"Assume temporary command. I am going to return to Vale for a time." Raven said as she stood up from the mirror she had been sitting down at.

"Do you require an escort, milady?" Raven waved him off.

"That will not be necessary. This is a private affair." She said before opening a portal and stepping through, leaving Darius alone in the commander's tent.