Chapter 14 : Smile Again, Please (Last Chapter)

NOTE : Sadly, this is the last chapter of this book. However, if some of you wish, I may continue to write short stories about Raiden's adventures as an Excorcist prior to the fall of Vale. Let me know if that interests you!

---

Yang walked along the familiar path, pushing branches that hung off trees away from her. She quickly lifted her foot high into the air, avoiding the shrub which had sharp thorns growing on the branches. One time, she had stepped on the plant barefoot. The result was that she was forced into a wheelchair for two weeks while her injured foot healed. She quickly shot her hand forward, grabbing another branch that had once nearly taken out her eye and pushing it above her head. She stopped as the view in front of her took her breath away. Once again, the galaxy was painted above her, brilliant colors intertwining with the shining of the stars and moon.

"Took you long enough." A male voice said to her left. She'd been so distracted by the view that she failed to notice the... male to her left.

"Do I... know you?" Yang asked. The male turned to her before scoffing to himself.

"It worked. Nice." The male said as Yang noticed his deep blue eyes. She suddenly blushed, although she was unaware of this.

"Who are you?" Yang asked, preparing to take several steps back.

"Someone." The male replied before turning away form her again. The sun was beginning to rise, the forest creatures crawling out from their dens and beginning to forage for food. Squirrels leaped from tree to tree, birds spread their wings and took flight into the sky.

"It's almost time." The male said as he stood from where he had sat. He turned to her, smiling.

"You really are beautiful." The male said as he watched her shocked expression tale control of her.

"What!? Well, I mean thanks but... Why do I feel like I know you" Yang replied before taking a step closer. As soon as she had finished her sentence, fragments of her memories with him began returning to her.

"Do you know what Assimilation is? It's the act of which an exorcist sacrifices their physical body to a spirit in order to be transformed into a spirit. It's forbidden amongst the exorcists." The male said. He turned away from her before walking to the edge of the cliff as the sun slowly began shining over the mountains.

"Why are you telling me this?" Yang asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Assimilation also erases their presence from the memories of those around them." The male turned to her once more as his body began to disappear. It was as if his body was turning to stardust, becoming more and more invisible by the moment.

"Before I go, please promise me one thing, Yang: I want you to Smile Again, Please." The male said before completely disappearing. Yang covered her mouth with her hands, her lilac eyes widening.

"Raiden!?" She breathed before her tears began to pour from her eyes.

---

"It doesn't make sense, Tai." Raven said as the entirety of her eyes ceased to glow red. She blinked, the red glow enveloping her eyes retreating to her pupils. She and Tai sat at the dinner table, spying on Yang through Raven's bird of which she could assume control of. The red glow was her ability to look into the eyes of the raven and see whatever the flying creature could see.

"What, that she remembers him? That we all remember him still?"

"Yes, it doesn't make sense! Assimilation is supposed to erase him from our memories and yet I can still remember him as if he was just born yesterday!" Raven exclaimed.