Chapter Two: The Professor

Washington, D.C. – 1996

It was the first day of school for Alexis Redding and her boyfriend of four months, Jefferson "Jeff" Reed. For Alexis, it was in Georgetown University, where she worked as a college professor. For Jeff, it was at the high school where he worked as a music teacher.

            Alexis thought herself blessed to be in a relationship with such a wonderful guy like Jeff, particularly with this day being her first in teaching African American History

Alexis thought herself blessed to be in a relationship with such a wonderful guy like Jeff, particularly with this day being her first in teaching African American History. "What if it's to a whole class of African American kids?" she nervously pondered aloud.

"There are many white professors that teach A.A. History, Alex."

She loved the way he abbreviated her first name like that. No one, to the best of her knowledge, ever called her "Alex" 'til she met Jeff.

"You'll be just fine," he assured her, sealing it with a kiss.

After breakfast, Jeff and Alexis left their apartment for work.

Alexis took the bus to Georgetown; on the way, she switched on her Walkman and listened to her favorite morning tune: Michael Jackson's "Human Nature." Her arrival on campus was carefully observed from afar, unbeknownst to her, by a tall young, curly-haired brunette in a grey sweater and jeans, along with a brown Great Dane that she smiled down on.

" Her arrival on campus was carefully observed from afar, unbeknownst to her, by a tall young, curly-haired brunette in a grey sweater and jeans, along with a brown Great Dane that she smiled down on

-----------

The A.A. History class started with a number of students much smaller than Alexis anticipated.

Among them were Craig Jones and his father, Willie (who was merely there to ensure his son gets an education and a job), Fred Jones (no relation to either Craig or Willie), Daphne Blake, Norville "Shaggy" Rogers, Velma Dinkley, and a hooded student sitting in the far corner of the classroom.

"Is this everybody?" Alexis asked.

Taking role, she saw one name on the roster that hadn't answered: Carrie Curtsinger.

Why does that last name sound so familiar to me?

Carrie did arrive to class, albeit a few minutes late.