Chapter 8

WARNING
SENSITIVE CONTENT AHEAD. IF YOU CANNOT DEAL WITH THE THOUGHT OF DEATH, PLEASE STOP NOW.
OTHERWISE, GOOD LUCK.

Two days later in a much cleaner hotel in Arizona, Nico’s POV

Why is he out here? I thought to myself as I cleaved through another monster, breathing hard as I tried to make my way to the blonde head of hair nearby. He should be back in the medic tents, not out here…

He was waving down some of the Apollo kids, trying to get their attention as he used his bow to keep the monsters away from the wounded body at his feet. He spotted me, smiling and waving as he called my name.

Just a few yards more… I smiled some to myself as I tried to clear the monsters that stood between me and him. In the back of my mind, I knew what was about to happen, but I couldn’t clearly remember it until the sickening sound reached my ears.

I looked up, watching as Will fell to his knees, blood gushing from an arrow wound in his chest. I heard as I yelled his name, I could see myself cutting through monsters, I could see the Apollo kids in the distance, trying to reach us, but all that I could actually recognize was the pain in my own chest as I desperately slashed through the monsters. They suddenly dispersed, and I fell to my own knees in front of Will, catching him as he fell forward.

“Keep living, Death Boy…” I heard a whisper against me. I could feel a warm feeling go through me as Will’s magic healed my wounds, something that I wished so badly I could do right now as the blood gathered on my hands. I heard sobs leave my mouth as the world slowly turned black…

I gasped for breath as I woke up, the cold room greeting me well. I closed my eyes again tightly, covering my head as the images taunted me. The blonde hair, the bright smile, they were all gone now, only to be replaced by fake people, those that resemble his looks yet weren’t him…

I laid there, gasping for breath as I forced the images back as much as possible, trying to come to my senses. I must have fallen asleep on accident. I was still on a quest with two numbskulls that have no clue what they are doing. I was in a nice hotel room, the bed feeling soft underneath me. My breathing was slowing, a good sign. I let out a deep breath, slowly opening my eyes as I looked around.

Light peeked through the curtains, landing on the two sleeping girls. At least while they’re sleeping, they aren’t quite as annoying. I got up, opening the small refrigerator and grabbing the soda I had left in it last night, downing the rest as I peeked outside. We were bound to reach San Francisco by the end of the day, where I hadn’t been since the war. Who knows who will still be there…

A buzzing in my pocket broke me out of my thoughts. I pulled out the flip-phone, seeing “Leo” on the screen. Sighing, I flipped it open, hitting answer.

“Hey man! How’s the quest thing going?!” I jumped, nearly dropping the phone.

“I just woke up, I do not need you yelling in my ear this early in the morning after dealing with two smiles all day.” I scowled at him, going out the backside of the room and sitting on the porch.

“Good to hear! Hey, you haven’t forgotten about my job offer, right? Leo’s Repair Shop will be up and running soon!” He chirped through the phone.

“Yeah, yeah I know. I told you, I’m considering it, but I have a lot on my mind right now.”

“Come on dude, you’ve had a lot on your mind for the past three years! Open up already will-” The voice was cut off as I slammed the end call button, throwing the phone at the concrete wall and curling up on the chair. Like he had a clue about what happened. Like he really understood what’s going on in my mind…