Chapter 11

Reyna’s house, Lin’s POV

    I yawned as I finally stood up, my mental clock telling me a new day had begun already, proving how late it was. At the end of the conversation, we decided the girls would use the upstairs rooms while Nico would stay downstairs. I, however, didn’t feel like heading up yet, instead slipping away from the other two and going to the back porch.

    I sat, down, taking in a deep breath of the cool night air as I let my wings reform and stretch out. Though they didn’t have a material form when I choose to hide them, the ache in my back can only ever be explain by the stiffness of not using my wings.

    I smiled, closing my eyes and letting the tunes of the nightlife tickle my ears. I could hear Lia and Reyna upstairs, whispering quietly to each other as they tried to avoid waking Fawn. I chuckled, hearing Fawn wake up and throw a pillow at them. They laughed, before starting filling her in on the plan. I changed my focus, instead listening to the downstairs. I could hear steps that were obviously meant to be quiet pace around, occasional noises suggesting a train of thought going on coming from the son of Hades.

    I had heard of him more than a few times while traveling with Percy and the other resurrected Warriors. As common of the poor children of Hades, he had suffered more than enough tragedy for 10 lifetimes, but his strength was obvious in the way he was able to survive nonetheless. I sighed, opening my eyes and looking to the sky.

    “Can’t sleep either?” I heard behind me.

    “I wouldn’t say I can’t sleep, more of that I do not want to sleep.” I replied, listening as Nico sat beside me.

    “May I ask a question then?”

    “You may ask, but you may or may not receive an answer.”

    “Fair enough. Why did you insist on being called sir in our bickering?” I chuckled, remembering the argument. He had commented in Italian that girls were always hard for him to understand unless he asked directly, so I started arguing, insisting he call me the Italian equivalent of “sir” instead if that made things so much easier.

    “Well, if you feel that girls are hard to understand than perhaps you should just start treating me as though I’m a guy. It feels more natural anyways.” I smiled at him, making him raise an eyebrow at me in interest. I chuckled before looking back to the sky. “When you look at the night sky, what do you think of?”

    He followed my gaze upwards, letting out a quiet sigh “I always think of the stars and how lonely we are on this planet. E tu?”

    I smiled at the stars, singing softly “And oh, I am so homesick. But it ain’t that bad, cause I’m homesick for a home I never had.” A questioning gaze fell upon me, and I chuckled “Homesick by Soul Asylum. I used to steal my mom’s laptop to listen to it while I was little.” I looked at him, smiling as I saw the edges of a smile creep into his face.

    “So, what does such a knowledgable being think of this situation?” He asked, sarcasm prominent in his voice.

    “Hm, well, I believe there’s a high probability of us dying, seeing as you and I are in fact older demigods. There’s also a high probability of failing miserably, considering this is Perfection. But,” I smiled at him, trying not to let me pessimistic possibilities ruin the mood “We could come out of this alive, and perhaps in the future laugh over how pessimistic we were at this time.”

    “That sounds rather optimistic.” Nico noted, leaning back “Especially the dying part, that sounds rather nice.”

    “Hey now, you got quite a lot of years you could live ahead of you. Don’t give up on life so soon.” I looked over at him “Besides, human lives are so short, there’s no point to dwell over tragedy.”

    “You say that like you’re not a human, or a demi human.”

    “Well, I’ve lived a far longer life than most demigods would. Especially if you consider time based on the timeframes of other planets.”

    “Should I ask?”

    “If you’re curious and willing to listen to me blabber on the physics of other planets, yes. Otherwise, no.”

    I got a quiet chuckle from that “Well, perhaps another time then.” Nico stood up, nodding to me “You should rest up for tomorrow, so goodnight, sir.” He said the last part with sarcasm, and I chuckled.

    “Good night to you as well.”

~~~ Well they get along well ~~~

    The world of dreams is rather odd from a third person point of view. After many years of working with my father, I learned how to work the world of dreams to bend at my will, but it can be rather troublesome and unnecessary, and even damaging if done incorrectly.

    I feel my soul float from my body, and dream activity filled my senses. So many disconnected dreams, but after our conversation, I decided to aim for a specific person and their dream: Lia.

    She mentioned having multiple dreams about Perfection, but she only mentioned two or three. It was easy to assume there would be another dream coming.

    Lia’s golden/orange dream aura was easy to locate, and I let it envelope me, watching as it played out. I could only see the afterwards of what she had seen or had heard, or what she was hearing as it was. There were a few hallways, and she seemed to be set on dashing down a particular one, her bow prepped to strike something behind her.

    I looked around her dreamscape, noticing something special: There was an amount of detail no semi conscious mind could create easily. It could only be one of three things, a memory, a demigod dream, or a view into the future. I decided to watch to decide.

    Lia turned down, reaching a dead end as a new grotesque scene came into view that made me gasp: A young boy I knew very well was laying on the ground, his body and wings covered in blood. He yelled at Lia to run, but she apparently wasn’t listening, watching behind her as she aimed her bow at the backwards hallway. I looked into the past of her dreamscape, jumping as shadows formed, a figure suddenly forming from them as it turned the corner. It swiped away the arrow she shot as if it was a paper ball before throwing a spear at her.

    I quickly threw out my own arms, freezing the dream just before the spear hit her. I let myself float down beside her, looking at the man and scoffing.

    “Well, Eric, it sure has been a while since I’ve seen your disgusting face.” I muttered, turning to Lia “How long have you been having this dream?”

    She blinked, looking at the spear before looking to me “Since the quests began… Wait!” She quickly turned, trying to move the lock but finding it frozen in place.

    “That won’t work.” I sighed, avoiding looking at Or. “I froze the dream. Can you explain the details?” She looked into the cage before turning to me.

    “I run down the hallways, and when I get here I can try to open the lock or do what I just did. No matter the case though, he still kills me.” She looked at me, confused “What do you mean when you call him Eric? He called himself Perfection in another dream.”

    But Perfection is dead, unless… It suddenly clicked what had happened. Energy cannot be gained or loss. They believed this was only important with mass or forces of energy or all that whatnot, but whenever a being of great power was ultimately defeated, their power could not just “disappear”. Which meant in this case…

    “He must be hosting the soul of Perfection then… But maybe…” I looked at him before smiling at her “Let me try something. Mind if I rewind the dream?”