Chapter 3: A Day To Celebrate; Or Not?

Shifting POV's into Naruto's

I can barely contain my excitement. Today, Menma, Karin and I will be turning five! Five a big number, like if I ate five bowls of ramen, that would be a lot and a big amount, so that means I'm officially becoming a big boy!

Well, at least, that's what Dad calls me.

Speaking of Dad, where was he? I woke up earlier than my siblings- as I could hardly sleep- so I went out from my room and headed downstairs to see if they had any early surprises for us. But the only surprise I got was my mother's surprised face when I came down.

"Naruto- what are you doing up?"

She did seem to be handling decorations, with an assortment of balloons on the floor, some filled with air and held down by some heavier object, others unfilled, some stringy material, markers, and some other stuff scattered messily around her.

"It's our birthday! I couldn't sleep so I went down here to see if Dad was home." I explained, cheerfully.

"Well, he's not home. He's at work. He said he'll be home by tonight, but you'll be asleep by then." She said to me, now looking back towards the assortment of decorations as she began fiddling with them.

". . .oh. W-well, that's okay. I'm at least glad I get to spend it with you, mama! I'm sure you got us the best gifts, and you're gonna throw the best party!" I extend my arms out to emphasize just how awesome this party will be!

I find her staring at me, and for a moment, I see a softness in her eyes, maybe even a look of slight sadness in them. Before she glances away from me, standing herself up.

"I appreciate it, Naruto. But why don't you head on up back to bed, and mommy will finish setting up your big party, okay?" She steps to me, turning me towards the stairs again as she nudges me forward.

"Oh, um, okay! Goodnight, or um- good morning?- mommy!" I smiled and rushed off back upstairs.

Mommy's so nice, she always thinks about me. It's just- sometimes things feel a little off between us. She always looks so happy with Menma and Karin, but then she looks to me and a hint of sadness glazes over her eyes. And whenever I do something she doesn't like, she gets upset with me and sometimes can be a little mean, like when she roughly grabbed my wrist and dragged me off to bed when I accidentally broke a bowl I was eating from. She said I was being a pig and wasn't eating properly, so that's why the bowl fell and I shouldn't do it again. I was eating fast, but I swore the bowl was extra slippery when I lifted it up to my face, and slipped from my hands onto me, then on the floor, so I made two messes in one go. I guess she was more mad about that, and I guess I didn't have to bring the bowl up to my face to drink it faster. . .

Either or! I did slow down the next time we ate from bowls. She started giving me smaller, plastic bowls so I couldn't break them anymore. I guess I don't really mind, but I remember when Karin broke a plate once. I can't blame her, she said the plate was really hot and she accidentally dropped it. I was worried for Karin, remembering how upset she got with me, but I saw her crouch down and comfort Karin, patting her head and reassuring her, apologizing for making the plate a little too hot and how she should have waited a moment before giving it to her.

I didn't understand. I tried telling her the bowl slipped from my hands, that it was wet or something, and she didn't give me the chance to speak. I had to change myself out of the food-stained clothes, then be put in bed before I ended up crying myself to sleep that night, upset over the whole situation. But here she was, comforting and consoling Karin like how Dad would do to me. I don't get it. Why does mommy treat her better? Menma's practically perfect, but when he does make a mistake, mom cuddles and cooes at him like he's still a baby.