When He Meets His Other Baby

《September, 2016》

-

She'll be okay, she'll be okay, she'll be okay--

"Quit it." Nathan hissed, glaring at me as he stood stiffly, "it's not helping."

"What?" I snapped, "I ain't doing shit."

He scoffed, "sitting on the floor, your own hair tugged, your eyes blank--and you said you ain't doing shit."

"Well, sorry, but that's Mia behind this door!" I roared, immediately standing up--before pa pulled me away from Nate.

"This is a hospital, boys," he said sternly, "don't fight."

"We know you're worried," Nate scolded, running a hand through his unruly hair, "but for fuck's sake, calm down. She'll be okay."

Calm down, I scoffed, he speaks as if it's such an easy thing to do.

"Daddy," Natalie, Nate's littlest daughter called out, raising her chubby little arms--a demand to be picked up, "daddy, I'm cold."

"Right," he sighed, "let me get your jacket, baby."

"Why isn't she staying with Gwen, Oliver and Travis?" Greg asked, though his eyes are glued to the emergency room's door, his stance stiff even as he tried to divert the topic.

"Oliver and Travis are both sick," Nate sighed heavily, carefully helping Natalie put her jacket on, "Gwen thought it's best if Nat comes with me."

"Is auntie Mia okay, daddy?" The little girl asked cutely as Nate picked her up, let her small body curl up to him, "daddy?"

"Yes baby," he kissed her head, "she is."

Greg send me what I think is meant to be a reassuring smile, though with the worry weighing in his eyes, it almost looked like he's about to bawl.

"Oh Levi," ma sighed as she leaned against me, "why my baby?"

That's exactly what I've been wondering these past hours. Why, why her?

I wrapped my arms around her shoulder as my mouth sealed tight, unable to form words--hoping it could at least give ma some comfort--comfort I couldn't even get right now--as I waited for someone, anyone to come out of the emergency room and bring news regarding Mia, any news.

"Uncle Levi," a small voice snapped me out of my thoughts as a small hand was placed on my knee, "daddy said auntie Mia is going to be okay, smile, uncle!"

My heart melted at that, this sweet angel, God bless her.

"Thanks baby." I picked her up and let her inspect my hair with such curiosity--

--then the doctor came out.

Almost immediately, I begin questioning him, throwing questions after questions, my mouth having a brain of its own.

"--please, calm down." The doctor said, his face not giving anything away, "sir, please calm down."

I muttered a string of profanities under my breath, "I will fucking calm down, if you tell me that my sister is okay."

"Levi," Nathan warned, glaring at me before sending the doctor an apologetic look, "how is she?"

"Her injuries aren't fatal, just minor injuries--bruises, scratches, she'll heal in no time. No fractured skull or ribs, her legs and arms are all right, she can be discharged tomorrow."