17

Chris' POV

"Tom, why do you sound like us?" I heard Anthony ask Tom Hiddleston as we headed out the door on our way to the limo. "There has to be a reason other than you're tired of sounding like a snob."

"I'm trying to win a bet, as you say it," Tom replied.

"Who did you make a bet with?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "And why?"

"The lovely Megan. I'm not actually sure how it started, but it was my idea - so now I must blend in for the rest of the evening or until we return to Chris' – whichever happens first."

"And if you lose?" Jeremy asked. "What then?"

"I'll be forced to attend one of your bloody American football games. I don't recall the name of the team, but it's one she follows."

"If you win?" I asked, trying to stamp out the jealousy I was currently feeling that Tom was going to be spending one-on-one time with Megan.

He gave us a satisfied smile. "When I win, she's agreed to go out for dinner with me. The challenge is worth the risk - and I don't intend to lose."

"You know she's got a boyfriend, right?" Sebastian said.

"So I have been reliably informed," Tom replied. "But just because she has one now doesn't mean she will in the future - we didn't specify a time frame. I can be a patient man when it's called for."

"How much of Loki was you and how much of you is Loki?" Paul asked, clapping him on the back. "That sounded a little more evil villain than I'm used to hearing from you lately. Here I was thinking you'd reformed."

"Well Tom, there's no way she's taking you to a football game before I do," I said. "And since Megan's from Colorado, I'm going to assume her team is the Broncos. The Patriots are a much better team if you want to see a real game."

"Then we just have to make sure she loses," Jeremy said, elbowing me. "Shouldn't be hard, right?"

*       *

"I thought you said this shouldn't be hard?" I asked Jeremy as we got another round of drinks. The girls were on the dance floor already and probably had been for a while before we got here.

"Who knew she was so good at the accent?" he griped. "Get her another drink or something - maybe that will help."

"I've got a better idea," I said, ordering an assorted tray of shots. We had them brought over to our table, waving the team over and handing them out.

"What's this for?" Scarlett asked, coming up next to me. I handed her tequila and something colorful.

"I want to take shots – so everyone's gonna take them with me. Drink up," I ordered.

Sadie and Megan were the last ones over to us, Jeremy having to go fetch them from the edge of the dance floor. Sadie just shook her head at me, but I handed her an apple pie shot while Megan got tequila.

"Why thank you kindly, sir," she said in a British accent, tossing it back like a pro. "Thomas, darling – you're still going to lose."

"Can I just say how awesome you sound, Meg?" Tom Holland said, putting an arm around her easily. "It's almost like partying with my mates back home. Cheers!" he said, handing her another shot while he took his first.

"I'll wager you also don't know I used to be a waitress at a place like this in the Cities before I came to New York. After we closed for the night we could drink for free," she said with a grin and I knew what she was getting at.