91

Megan's POV

I found the fortune cookies on the kitchen counter when I went to refill my water and brought them back with me, tossing them to Sadie and Sebastian. I unwrapped mine and broke it in half, popping a piece in my mouth while I read my fortune. I couldn't help but laugh because it was just so fitting.

"Let's hear it," Sebastian said, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Marriage lets you annoy one special person for the rest of your life - I'm so putting that on Instagram." I took a picture to post later as Sebastian burst out laughing.

"No way – it doesn't say that!" Sadie said, leaning over my shoulder to see it. "Never mind, it really does. So who's doing the annoying - you or Chris?"

"Me of course," I said as Sebastian handed me his to read because he was still laughing over my fortune. "If you want the rainbow, you will have to tolerate the rain. Fitting, Baz." I thought that described his and Sadie's relationship pretty well; they were just now starting to get past the rain, I decided.

"I know," he said with a grin, taking the slip of paper back from me. "That's what I thought, too."

"Coincidentally, mine is pretty spot on as well," Sadie said with a shake of her head. "A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't.

"Now you have to add 'in bed' at the end of them," I said, grinning at them both. We burst into helpless laughter as we reread them that way.

"It still crazy how we all randomly got messages that meant something to us," Sadie said when we finally stopped laughing.

"No wonder people use the numbers to play the lottery," I said, smothering a yawn, suddenly tired now that I was done laughing. "What time do you leave tomorrow?"

"Our flight isn't until 2," Sadie said with a yawn of her own. "Did you want to meet for breakfast?"

"Yeah. I should probably get going."

"You know you can always stay here, Roşu," Sebastian said, studying me. "Mi casa is su casa."

I slumped over and gave him a side hug, letting him pull me into his arms for a proper hug. "Thanks, but I'm ready to go home," I murmured, resting my head on his shoulder; Sebastian's hugs were always great.

"Home, huh?" he said, amusement in his voice. "I suppose this place doesn't feel like home to you, does it?"

"Nope. Not like our other place did," I said, kissing his cheek. "Thanks for the offer, Baz - but you know as well as I do that if I don't go home Chris is gonna be knocking on your door by midnight - or sooner."

"Yeah, you're probably right. See you later, kid." Sebastian let go of me and I jumped at Sadie, startling her momentarily with my sneak attack hug but she only shook her head and hugged me back.

"You've been spending too much time with Chris," she laughed. "I miss having you around all the time."

"Same. I still think you mostly hired me to be your companion, Sadie," I told her with a grin as I stood up. Sebastian's expression told me he hadn't expected me to figure that out, but Sadie - she knew; he couldn't pull the wool over her eyes.

While it'd taken a lot of effort to unravel her calendar when I'd first started, after that it hadn't been hard to keep up. Did I make her life easier, yes - but I'd always thought Sadie had been in more need of a friend than an employee back then. I did more for her when she traveled, but having a companion willing to go all over the world with you was nice. She needed someone to keep her from being so serious all the time - someone who could make her laugh and not let her get overwhelmed by grief while letting her still grieve.