44

Megan's POV

I sat next to Tom in the limo and slid my shoes off, tucking my feet under me as I half listened to him and Luke talking. This dress was a lot more comfortable than the one I'd had to wear to the premiere but it still wasn't one that I'd have chosen for myself. It would, however, suit a certain famous tall blond very well.

As close to Tom as I was, I could feel the rising tension in him as we got closer to the next event - and the next round of reporters. I looked up at him and smiled before looking out the window, taking Tom's hand in mine and idly playing with his fingers until he tugged on mine to get my attention. His lips were curled in an amused smile as he looked down at me.

"Yes?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"If you're tired, darling, we can go back to my place after we put in an appearance at this next event."

Luke shook his head infinitesimally, letting me know that wasn't where we were at on the agenda. I smiled and shook my head at Tom, knowing he'd take the out if I agreed, but when I'd agreed to be Tom's plus one for tonight, Luke and I had talked at length about what would be best for Tom tonight - and letting him off the hook wasn't it.

"Only if this is really the last appearance you need to make, Tom," I said, linking fingers with him. "I'm good for quite a while yet as long as I eat something soon."

Tom needed to be seen out and about tonight interacting lightheartedly with others. He needed to use the press to make the most of these appearances, putting the rumors that he was still in love with his ex to rest. Luke and I agreed that my job as Tom's red carpet escort was to keep him on schedule and in an excellent mood by whatever means necessary.

I knew Tom hadn't eaten since our light dinner yesterday afternoon and if I was hungry, he probably was too. By appealing to his gentlemanly manners, I could cajole him into doing what was needed far easier than telling him he was required to appear at this event.

"That's the first thing on the list after the reception line, then." Tom decided quickly before he put his arm around me and pulled me close, draping my legs over his and letting me lean my head on him. "I could certainly go for a bite as well."

"Good, because I like watching the people at these things - it's even better than seeing it on TV," I said with a grin, making Tom laugh. He played with a loose lock of my hair as I told him a funny story from when I was younger and ran my hand over his arm lightly, relaxing him in minutes.

*         *

The sun wasn't quite up when Tom brought me back to Chris' house, but it would be soon. He woke me as his driver parked to let me out and I blinked blearily, having fallen asleep in Tom's arms shortly after leaving the last party a while ago.

"Megan, darling; we're here," Tom murmured in my ear, his scruff tickling me. "Up now so we can get you inside."

"Yes, dear," I said with a yawn, sitting up and letting Tom's jacket slide off my shoulders. I let him hand me out of the limo, more tired than I'd thought. Tom set his arm around my shoulders as he walked me to the front door. Luke had taken my bags in already and set them inside for me. "Thanks, Luke," I said as I smiled tiredly at him. "I appreciate it."

"Thank you for your assistance tonight, Megan; you did a bang up job of keeping him in line," Luke said with a grin, his eyes cutting to Tom, who was more than a little amused, having figured out our strategy at the second after party when we'd teamed up on him to avert a situation with an overly clingy fangirl.

"Believe me, I know - things went a lot better than I thought they would," I replied, letting Tom pull me past Luke and into the house.

"I'll be out in a minute, Luke," Tom said, steadying me as I kicked off my heels. Luke went back outside and Tom shut the door, smiling down at me. "Thank you again for coming with me tonight, darling. I couldn't have done it without you."